Browse through subscriptions. The app offers over 150 books to choose from and you can subscribe to more than one at a time. Browse through popular selections, search for a particular book, or take a look through the categories. With classics from Charles Dickens, H.P. Lovecraft, William Shakespeare, and more, you will never be at a loss for literature from the greats.
Subscribe and receive issues. Once you subscribe, you can read your first issue immediately. The app will then show you how many hours and minutes until your next one arrives, which will be the next day. You can adjust the time to receive notifications of your new issues easily within the settings.
Reading features. While you are reading your issue, you can tap to pop open the features for copying to your clipboard or getting a word definition. If you have Serial Premium ($2.99) you can also highlight and add notes. In addition, you can adjust the font from a variety of options and also choose your contrast background for easier reading.
What is it about?
Summer, for many, is a time of relaxing and catching up on your reading. Apple's App Store has a whole collection of apps to help you with your summer reading plan, and Serial Reader is one of them.
For those who...
- Enjoy reading
- Like classic literature
Not for those who...
- Do no enjoy reading
- Prefer modern literature
Why we love it
From “Pride and Prejudice” to “War and Peace,” it can often be difficult to find the time to sit down and read a classic novel. But, what if you could read just a small chunk each day during your lunch break or while on the train? Serial Reader – Classic Books in Daily Bits sends you an issue each day that you can read in less than 20 minutes. The books are broken down into categories, like Adventure books and Fantasy titles. You'll find your usual genres, but Serial Reader refines them even more. There are categories dedicated to American literature, for example, as well as a category comprised of books by the Bronte sisters. You're free to subscribe to more than one book at a time, and you receive daily issues of each one. If you decide you just can't wait until tomorrow to read ahead, a small in-app purchase supports the app as well as your desire not to have to put that wonderful book down.
Serial Reader is FREE but there are more add-ons
App Store Description
Read classic books in bite-sized bits delivered every day.
Subscribe to any of dozens of classic books and receive a new installment every day. Each issue can be easily read in under 20 minutes.
With Serial Reader you can finish even the most daunting book in days, right on your iPhone or iPad. It's an easy and fun way to reread your favorite works or discover new treasures.
• "For those who are intimidated by thick, leather-bound tomes, Serial Reader is a good way to break it all down" - Washington Post
• "This just might be the reading mode of the future" - Mashable
• "Serial Reader’s subscription format makes it a little bit more fun to crank through the classics" - Lifehacker
• "A godsend... you can fit in these readings while waiting at the doctor’s office, on a bus or taxi ride, or during a coffee break at work" - Book Riot
• "Serial Reader makes finding the time to read classic literature easier than ever" - Gizmodo
• Selected as one of Apple's Best New Apps in February!
Plus, with Serial Reader Premium you can Read Ahead on those days you have a little extra time, keep your reading synced across your iOS devices with iCloud, add highlights and notes to text, pause serial delivery, and more!
"Choose from a vast library of classic literature – be it classic horror, romance, mystery or thrillers galore" - The New Daily
New books added every week! More than 300 books currently available...
-- Adventure --
• The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
• Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson
• Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
• The Odyssey - Homer
• King Solomon's Mines - H. Rider Haggard
-- Romance --
• Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
• Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
• Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
• Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare
• Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
-- Science Fiction --
• The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells
• 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne
• A Princess of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs
-- American Lit --
• Moby-Dick - Herman Melville
• Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
• My Antonia - Willa Cather
• Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
• This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald
-- Horror --
• Dracula - Bram Stoker
• The Dunwich Horror - H.P. Lovecraft
• Frankenstein - Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
• The Fall of the House of Usher - Edgar Allan Poe
• The King in Yellow - Robert W. Chambers
• The Wendigo - Algernon Blackwood
-- Classics --
• A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
• Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky
• War & Peace - Leo Tolstoy
• Les Misérables - Victor Hugo
• Oedipus Rex - Sophocles
• The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
-- Mystery --
• The Hound of the Baskervilles - Arthur Conan Doyle
• The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Agatha Christie
• The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
-- Children's --
• Peter Pan - J. M. Barrie
• Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
• The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
• Anne of Green Gables - Lucy Maud Montgomery
-- Fantasy --
• The Well at the World's End - William Morris
• Time and the Gods - Lord Dunsany
• The Wood Beyond the World - William Morris
-- Philosophy & Religion --
• The Republic - Plato
• King James Bible
• Leviathan - Thomas Hobbes
And many more! New titles added every week.