What is it about?
Why would you use SpeedOdo?
App Store Description
Why would you use SpeedOdo?
- You want a LARGE digital speedometer, odometer, and compass heading
- Your car or boat speedometer does not work or you do not trust it
- You want to know distances and heading on your boat (on most boats you only get engine hours and speed)
- You want to know trip distance AND time, while walking, running or biking
- You want to send a text message with your longitude/latitude location on a map to someone
- You want to save your data minutes by using a GPS-only app
- You have an old iPhone or iPad without a data plan (but it must have GPS)
Here's what it has:
- Large Speedometer
- Large Odometer (Trip and Total)
- Large Compass Course Heading
- Large Trip Timer
- Longitude/Latitude Location (viewable on a map)
- Top and average speed for a trip
- Text Message of your Longitude/Latitude WITH a map
- Large Digital Clock
I wanted something for my small boat so that I could see the speed, distance and heading easily without reading glasses, in sunlight or at night. There are many GPS based apps, but I wanted something BIGGER and with everything navigation related in one app. I also wanted an app that is safe and simple to use while riding in (or on) a moving vehicle (boat, car, motorcycle, bicycle). I couldn't find an app that had all these things, so I wrote SpeedOdo!
I mount my iPhone or iPad on my boat dash (and my car dash and my SUP board) in a waterproof case and with the SpeedOdo app I can clearly see the speed, odometer and course heading with just my sunglasses. I don’t have to wear reading glasses when driving or boating anymore! It’s large enough that I can even see it with polarized lenses (iPhone and iPad have polarized screens…)
Use it in the car, on the boat, on a motorcycle or on an e-bike - no more reading glasses or straining to read the tiny dashboard speedometer and odometer. And forget about the tiny barely legible clock in the status bar - a much larger digital time is displayed in the lower right corner. It is also great for hiking, walking, cycling and stand-up paddle boarding.
- Menu Screen - Displays LARGE buttons to go to all other screens
- Dashboard Screen - Displays LARGE speed, course, and trip distance
- Trip Odometer Screen - Displays the LARGE trip odometer
- Total Odometer Screen - Displays the LARGE total odometer
- Speed Screen - Displays current, average and top speeds
- Location Screen - Displays latitude, longitude and altitude
- GPS Screen - Displays all GPS data in real time
- Timer Screen - Displays LARGE trip timer
- Clock Screen - Displays the date and a LARGE digital clock with the current time
- Course Screen - Displays the LARGE most recent course (degrees and heading)
- Help Screen - Displays tips for navigation within the app
- Easy to read because of the LARGE font sizes
- Screen navigation is all SWIPES and TAPS (the entire screen is one big button!)
- All other buttons require a DOUBLE TAP so you don't hit them accidentally while you're moving
- DOUBLE TAP the Map button on the Location screen to view exactly where you are on a map
- DOUBLE TAP the Send button on the Location screen to send a text message containing your location to friends and family
- Course shows compass degrees and heading (16 points)
- DOUBLE TAP the units in the upper left corner to change units: MPH (miles-per-hour), KPH (kilometers-per-hour) and KNOTS (nautical-miles-per-hour)
- User can pre-set total distance odometer to an existing vehicle odometer value
- No internet access so precious data minutes are NOT used
- Can be used on an old phone without a service plan (as long as it has GPS)
NOTE: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. If you need to use SpeedOdo for a long time, you should consider plugging your phone or tablet into a DC charger or external battery.
AppAdvice does not own this application and only provides images and links contained in the iTunes Search API, to help our users find the best apps to download. If you are the developer of this app and would like your information removed, please send a request to [email protected] and your information will be removed.