What is it about?
Swift Playgrounds from Apple gives kids a fun way to learn how to code. And, with ARKit, children can see the character’s world in their own world. The app is designed for iPad, is super simple to use, explains coding errors clearly, and is available in several languages.
Why we love it
If your child is interested in learning how to code, then Swift Playgrounds for iPad is the ideal teaching tool.
App Store Description
Swift Playgrounds is a revolutionary app that makes it fun to learn and experiment with code. You solve interactive puzzles in the guided “Learn to Code” lessons to master the basics of coding, or experiment with a wide range of challenges that let you explore many unique coding experiences.
Swift Playgrounds requires no coding knowledge, so it’s perfect for students just starting out, from twelve to one-hundred-and-twelve. The whole time you are learning Swift, a powerful programming language created by Apple and used by professionals to build many of today’s most popular apps. And because it’s built to take full advantage of iPad and the real iPadOS SDK, Swift Playgrounds is a first-of-its-kind learning experience.
• Apple-created lessons guide you through the core concepts of programming by using code to solve puzzles
• See your code run in a beautiful, interactive 3D world that you can rotate with a finger and pinch to zoom
• Animations introduce each new coding concept at a high level before you dive into the puzzles
• Choose from three animated characters to carry out the steps of your code
• Glossary and built-in help pages give detailed information about available commands and frameworks
Explore and create
• Challenges offer many new opportunities for creativity by playing with game logic, music, sensors, and more
• Interactive coding shows the results of your code instantly, either beside the text or acted out in the live view
• Step through your code to highlight each line as it is run
• Use your own photos and images within a playground to make it uniquely yours
• Starting points are a head start to create your own playgrounds that use graphs, graphics, touch, or chat with the computer
• Create your own playgrounds from scratch to take your coding skills to entirely new places
• Reset any page to start over, or duplicate and rename any document to give a family member their own copy
Built for touch
• QuickType suggestions let you add multiple lines of code in just a few taps, no keyboard required
• Tap and hold to grab any command and move it around to change the order of your code
• Drag a brace with your finger to wrap a block of code inside a loop or conditional statement
• Drag and drop snippets of commonly-used code directly into your playground
• Tap a color box in your code to display a pop-up color picker
• Coding keyboard has all the common Swift characters, just swipe to pick the alternate symbol on any key
Real Swift and iOS code
• Learn the same powerful Swift programming language used by the pros to create thousands of apps in the App Store
• Access iPadOS frameworks such as SpriteKit for 2D games, SceneKit for 3D graphics, UIKit, and more
• Your code has direct control of iPad hardware such as the gyroscope, accelerometer, camera, and touch events
• Use Bluetooth APIs to write playgrounds that control robots and other real-world devices with your iPad
• Concepts and skills you learn directly apply when writing real apps
• Send your creations to friends and family using Messages, Mail, AirDrop, or other Share Sheet extensions
• Record a video of yourself coding or running your creation, complete with your own voice narration
• Broadcast a coding session live to the world using any streaming service app that supports ReplayKit
AppAdvice does not own this application and only provides images and links contained in the iTunes Search API, to help our users find the best apps to download. If you are the developer of this app and would like your information removed, please send a request to [email protected] and your information will be removed.