What is it about?
Warbler Guide App
App Store Description
Warbler Guide App
Tom Stephenson & Scott Whittle
Winner of the 2016 PROSE Award for Best App/eProduct
The Warbler Guide App is the perfect companion to Princeton’s revolutionary and widely acclaimed book The Warbler Guide, by Tom Stephenson and Scott Whittle. Whether for study or field use, this innovative app delivers the full power of The Warbler Guide in your pocket—plus unique new app-only features.
The app allows you to identify birds by view or song, quickly and intuitively. Exciting new 3D graphics enable you to view a bird from the exact angle you see it in the field. And the whole range of warbler songs is easily played, compared, and filtered.
Breakthrough features from The Warbler Guide book that are included in the app:
• Rapid and confident two-step ID process using visual finders and comparison species
• The first complete treatment of warbler songs, using a new objective vocabulary
• An intuitive visual finder that includes side, 45-degree, and undertail views
• Master Pages with detailed ID points
• Complete guide to determining the age and sex of warblers with photos of all ages and sexes
• Annotated sonograms showing song structure and key ID points
• Complete songs, chip calls, and flight calls for all species
• Comparison species for making confident visual and audio IDs
• Many additional photos to show behavior and reinforce key ID points
• Highlighted diagnostic ID points
• Color Impression Icons for narrowing down ID of warblers from the briefest glimpses
• Behavior and habitat icons
Unique new app-only features:
• 3D models of birds in all plumages, rotatable and pinch-zoomable to match field experience of a bird
• Intuitive, visual, and interactive finders with filters for possible species based on audio and visual criteria chosen by the user
• Playback of all songs and vocalizations with sonograms makes study of vocalizations easy
• Selectable finder sortings grouped by color, alphabetical order, song type, and taxonomic order
• Interactive song finder using objective vocabulary for fast ID of unknown songs
• Simultaneous visual and song finders make identifying an unknown warbler even easier
• Half-speed song playback allows for easier study of song structure
• Comparison species with selectable side, 45 degree, and undertail views
• Features 75 3D images
• Covers 48 species and 75 plumages
• Includes 277 vocalizations, 156 songs, 73 contact calls, and 48 flight calls
• Detailed "how to use" tutorial screens
Requires iOS 7.0 or later
Tom Stephenson’s articles and photos have appeared in Birding and Bird Watcher’s Digest, at Surf-birds.com, and in the Handbook of the Birds of the World. He has guided groups across the United States and Asia. A musician, he has had several Grammy and Academy Award winners as clients, and was director of technology at Roland Corporation. Scott Whittle lives in Cape May, New Jersey, and has twenty years of experience as a professional photographer and educator. He holds an MFA in photography from the School of Visual Arts in New York, is a fellow of the MacDowell Colony, and is a onetime New York State Big Year record holder.
AppAdvice does not own this application and only provides images and links contained in the iTunes Search API, to help our users find the best apps to download. If you are the developer of this app and would like your information removed, please send a request to [email protected] and your information will be removed.