In early 2015, Google acquired Launchpad Toys, the startup behind the acclaimed children’s storytelling apps Toontastic and Telestory. A couple of years later, the company has released what appears to be the first app to come out of that acquisition: a new and improved version of Toontastic, called Toontastic 3D.
Watch the trailer
Starring you. Toontastic 3D features a wide array of preset characters and environments which kids can use for their stories. There are astronauts, pirates, ordinary citizens, robots, animals, mystical creatures, and more. There’s the classroom, the forest, the far reaches of space, Atlantis, and other settings. Kids can even make themselves part of the story by adding their photos and putting their faces on certain characters, which they can also customize with their favorite colors.
Directed by you. Toontastic 3D also lets kids design their very own characters using 3-D drawing tools. Whether preset or personalized, the characters just have to be moved around onscreen as kids tell their stories, and Toontastic 3D records the animation, soundtrack, and narration. The app supports three story arcs: the three-part short story (beginning, middle, end), the five-part classic story (setup, conflict, challenge, climax, resolution), and the five-part science report (research question, hypothesis, experiment, results, conclusion). Whatever the chosen arc, the resulting 3-D video can be exported to the device library for easy sharing with family and friends.
What is it about?
Like the original app, Toontastic 3D lets kids tell stories using cartoons that they can draw and animate. But unlike its predecessor, which produces 2-D cartoons that look like paper cutouts, Toontastic 3D results in cartoons that are, as its name suggests, rendered in blocky 3-D.
For those who...
- you have kids who possess a knack or show a potential for storytelling
- you yourself want to make fun and lively 3-D cartoons for whatever purpose
Not for those who...
- you don’t have kids or aren’t a kid a heart
- you dislike cartoons
Why we love it
The original Toontastic was already a great app, but Toontastic 3D is even better. With a more appealing visual style, and a more impressive assemblage of tools and options, it makes telling stories and fostering creativity a breeze for kids and even kids at heart. It’s great to see Google doing by its acquisition of Launchpad Toys.
App Store Description
3… 2… 1… ACTION! With Toontastic 3D you can draw, animate, and narrate your own cartoons. It’s as easy as play. Just move your characters around on screen, tell your story, and Toontastic records your voice and animations and stores it on your device as a 3D video. Toontastic is a powerful and playful way to create interstellar adventures, breaking news reports, video game designs, family photo albums, and anything else you might imagine!
What people are saying:
• Five star rating from Common Sense Media - “Kids are in the director's seat and have free reign to let their creative side shine with this flexible and easy-to-use storytelling platform.”
• A+ and Editor’s Choice rating from Children’s Technology Review - “Powerful and free, this rich language experience lets you create your own self-narrated puppet shows.”
• Winner of the 2017 BolognaRagazzi Digital Award for 'Best Kids App of the Year'
• A giant toy box full of swashbuckling pirates, transforming robots, nefarious villains, and many more characters and settings to spark kids’ imaginations
• Design your own characters with 3D drawing tools
• Add yourself to your adventures with photos, and customize the color of your characters
• Mix your soundtrack with dozens of built-in songs
• Choose from three Story Arcs for digital storytelling (Short Story, Classic, & Science Report)
• Export videos to your Photos library to share with family and friends
• An idea lab chock full of kid-created stories, characters, and settings to inspire new adventures
Cars 3 © 2017 Disney/Pixar. All Rights Reserved
Fruit Ninja © 2017 Halfbrick. All Rights Reserved