In Unmatched, you will choose from Normal, matching both colors and icons, Colors, matching colors only, and Icon, matching icons only. You can select the objects to be matched from shape and emoji sets and choose from 12 backgrounds. There are three game modes; Freeplay, Time Trial, and Arrows. Once you have customized everything just right, it’s time to play.
Normal, colors, and icons. If you choose Normal, this means you match both colors and icons. If you pick Colors, you will match colors only and not icons. And, if you choose Icon, this means you will match icons only and ignore colors. You can select the objects to be matched from shape and emoji sets.
Freeplay, time trial, and arrows. These three game modes are pretty much what they sound like. Freeplay provides casual gameplay without time limits. Time Trial has you matching as many objects as you can in two minutes. And in Arrows mode, you will match arrows and ignore colors. For each game mode, you can swipe to select your grid size.
Pick your backgrounds. There are 12 background options that will alternate, so pick just one or all of them to mix things up. you can also decide between a dark or light theme and whether or not the background should move. It all depends on how much of a distraction you are willing to have the background be.
Play the game. Once you have customized everything just right, it’s time to play. As with most match-three games, you drag the tiles to create your matches in columns or rows. Making matches with more than three objects will give you special tiles. For example, create a tile that will clear a row by matching four objects.
What is it about?
For something a little different in the match-three game genre is a challenge called Unmatched. Yes, you need to match three or more objects. Yes, you can choose from various game modes. And yes, you can tackle the Game Center leaderboard. But, what makes Unmatched stand out is that you pick the objects, the backgrounds, and even the grid size to create the perfect game.
For those who...
- Like match-three games
- Enjoy customizing their games
Not for those who...
- Dislike match-three games
- Prefer action adventures
Why we love it
Unmatched may not be the most challenging match-three game out there, but depending on how you personalize the game, it can certainly become difficult. For instance, if you choose to match colors, can your eyes really ignore the icons and vice versa?
Unmatched is FREE but there are more add-ons
Unmatched Full Access
App Store Description
You have played match-3 games before, but several unique features make this one "Unmatched"...
- novel "distraction" play modes, where piece colors don't match the icons. Can you focus on one without being distracted by the other?
- multiple gameplay variations, including "Arrows", which may just be the "World's Hardest Match 3 Game".
- play any game board size from 5x5 to 9x12 - your choice!
- numerous piece sets (20+) keep things interesting during extended play. You can even create your own piece sets using the emoji keyboard.
- solid gameplay, designed simply for fun, rather than enticing you to keep spending money to finish levels. A one-time, low cost, in-app purchase fully unlocks the game!
- clean and simple style, with lots of choices for color schemes and backgrounds.
- Game Center support with achievements and leaderboards for 20 different game variations, plus local (offline) highscores and statistics.
- Universal app (supports all iOS device types) runs on iOS7+