July 7, 2008
BossPrefs v1.73 | Published by View Project Homepage | Via BigBoss Source | Free
OverviewFrom the developer's site: "This native iPhone app is an offshoot of "Services" by Chris Hoffman. The app expands on services by adding some more options and focusing on being a complete preferences replacement. After installing BossPrefs you should be able to remove Customize, SMBPrefs, and Settings icons from your desktop."
ReviewI consider this to be one of the "must have" iPhone apps. As stated in the Overview, it fills the need of the included Settings program, as well as several add-ons available through Installer, and has add-ons of its own that allow for even more customization. Where it doesn't improve, it streamlines - putting the information you need most one screen deep, rather than three or four. The first screen of BossPrefs is enormously useful, so let's focus on it for a moment: [SCREENSHOT MAIN SCREEN] Here, you have at instant control:
- Connectivity control: EDGE, WiFi, Bluetooth, and SSH.
- Your IP address.
- The ability to hide icons on your home screen you don't use.
- A simple power button that allows you to refresh your homescreen, refresh it and lock it, restart your device, or turn it off completely.
- There is an option within BossPrefs to add additional additional buttons to the sub-dock you can see at the bottom of the screen.
- Dock Icons: Add/change the icons on your main screen's dock. If you use more than four apps here, you can swipe back and forth to scroll horizontally.
- Fix User Permissions: Helps corrects jailbroken apps that run incorrectly under the "mobile" user.
- Enable Springboard Screenshot: Allows you to take screenshots using the built-in but unactivated iPhone feature. CAUTION: I tried turning this on with my iPod Touch and locked my unit into a loop, requiring a software restore. Don't try this if you don't have an iPhone.
- BossPrefs to Double Tap Home: Supposedly lets you access BossPrefs by a double tap. Doesn't work for me, I still get iTunes control buttons.
- Show Free Disk Space: Reminds you how pitifully small your partition for programs is.