by Mike Lata
April 18, 2011
Good.iWare Ltd. has recently updated Goodreader for iPad ($4.99), to version 3.6.0, the app now includes privacy protection and encryption features. GoodReader is promoted primarily for productivity-related work with PDF files, but it is so much more, and it works with other file types as well. It allows you to read PDF files in multiple ways and with various settings, like double-page layouts, or by changing the background color. To save your spot in the text, you can even add bookmarks. It is useful for storing these PDF files but also stores: images, DOC files, TXT files, PPT files, and XLS files. Other related options include a word search for PDF files (to find exact spots in the text), and sending multiple email attachments from the app by going into the "manage files" option in its menu and choosing specific files. GoodReader also allows annotations and markups of PDF files and stores them that way, this is especially useful if you own a stylus. You can add notes to important documents and you can email them in order to read them later, even using desktop-based PDF readers. These are just some of the things you can do with the app, but it has many more features. With the recent update, data encryption and privacy protection have been added as well. Here are the developer's notes for the 3.6.0 release:
There are both iPhone and iPad versions of GoodReader, with different features and versions. The iPhone version, GoodReader for iPhone ($4.99), was last updated March 11, to version 3.5.1. Check out the iPad version as it offers many great features and comes highly recommended for productivity purposes.
NOTE: Due to the nature of Data Protection, installing this particular update requires a one-time processing of all your files that already exist in GoodReader. Depending on a number of files, the very first launch of this update may take a while. It's a one-time process. Please be patient, don't interrupt it. The app is a great PDF reader allowing large PDF documents to be transferred to it and read. PDF files like maps, instruction manuals, books, are supported can all be stored and read from the app. Doc files, images, and TXT files are supported as well.
- Data Protection. Now GoodReader takes advantage of iOS's ability to encrypt individual files to make sure your data is secure even if your device gets lost or stolen. ATTENTION!!! Special procedures need to be performed (and also some limitations apply). Be ABSOLUTELY sure to read the “How-To” manual on this feature, if you want to use it.
- Flatten PDF annotations. Now you can flatten your PDF files to embed annotations into the main PDF page body. This will make them visible in all PDF-capable apps (including Mail and Safari), regardless of those apps' inability to display PDF annotations. This also makes your annotations non-editable, which may be useful if you want to prevent your notes and drawings from being altered by someone else. “Flatten” option is also available when sending files from GoodReader via EMail or via “Open In...” menu. GoodReader does the “smart flattening” - it preserves all existing PDF hyperlinks, while flattening notes and drawings.
- symbolic PDF page labels are now supported. Use symbolic labels (i, ii, iii, etc.) to go to a page. This also addresses the issue when logical page 1 in a PDF document doesn't correspond to physical page 1.
- PDF Annotations: improved compatibility of Typewriter notes and text boxes with Mac's Preview app and Google Docs online viewer. All advanced properties (callouts, cloudy border, etc.) created in GoodReader should now be visible in those apps
- video files can now be played via AirPlay (iOS 4.3 or later)
- fixed the issue when only one audio track was played in the background
- improved connection to certain Microsoft IIS / Sharepoint WebDAV servers
- improved handling of untrusted server certificates when connecting to secure WebDAV, IMAP and POP3 servers
- faster syncing of large amount of small files with some secure servers (iDisk, Dropbox, SugarSync, etc.)
- faster SFTP downloads
- more stable SugarSync connection
GoodReader for iPhone
GoodReader for iPad