June 3, 2011
The Gourmet Live app, that debuted first on the iPad, is now universal and will work on the iPhone/iPod touch too. Offering the same delicious recipes and foodie news as its iPad version, the app is another sign the Gourmet moniker is alive and well. A stable on newsstands since 1941, the paper version of Gourmet magazine ceased production in early 2009. However, despite its publication’s demise, Condé Nast continued using the Gourmet name on a website of the same name. In 2010, the Gourmet Live app debuted for the iPad, which further resurrected the venerable magazine. And now, it is available on the iPhone too. Although the actual app is free, Gourmet Live survives by charging $.99 for each previous issue, which are available as in-app purchases. Our advice: Download each issue when it comes out (either on your iPad or iPhone) to make sure you don’t have to pay for an issue later on. By downloading an issue on one iDevice, it automatically becomes available on the other via your Gourmet Live Library. New issues typically arrive once every two weeks. Each includes no more than ten stories, each typically tied together by a theme. Many of the articles include recipes written years ago in Gourmet magazine, which is a nice touch. Despite worries articles would look cramped on the iPhone’s smaller screen this is not the case. In fact, the iPhone 4’s Retina display adds crispness to each article not possible on an iPad or iPad 2. Features include:
Finally, to advertise its new iPhone app, Gourmet Live is giving away one free trip to the Napa Valley worth $6,000! For more information, visit http://live.gourmet.com/napa. The Gourmet Live app is available in the App Store.
- It’s a new bite-size on iPhone with same big-taste you’ve come to enjoy on iPad.
- Access all of your saved and purchased content (in your Library, Favorites and SuperFavorites) on both iPad and iPhone.
- Connect to, and share, on both Facebook and Twitter and change your preferences at any time (on both iPad and iPhone).
- Improved navigation on the iPad makes it easier to find the content you want.
- Push notifications will update you with new content and functionality notifications to make your experience with Gourmet Live the best it can be (on both iPhone and iPad).
Condé Nast Digital