by Mike Lata
August 2, 2011
If you are a fan of beat 'em ups from the 1980s and 1990s you may have heard of the original Double Dragon arcade game. The iOS offering is a remake of that game. The game has also been updated recently and is temporarily available for half its regular price. This version of Double Dragon offers a lot of enhanced features like new artwork and visuals. There are also new additions to the gameplay. The game offers brand new stages, characters, and combos. The story focuses on two individuals, named Billy and Jimmy, who you control in the game. It is also straight out of a 90's Kung Fu film. One of the things many gamers complained about was how much of the screen real estate was taken up by the controls. One of the new features added in this latest update is an option to make the controls transparent. Here is the complete list of what has been added to the game as part of the update (taken from the app description):
The game is a retro throwback to a simpler era of gaming. If you enjoy beating street hoodlums to a pulp on your iPhone, go ahead and check the game out. Double Dragon is available on the App Store at a price of $1.99.
- The control panel is now set to display transparently.（In the Options menu, you can choose either ON or OFF. When set to ON, the control panel will appear translucent. When set to OFF, the control panel will only show the buttons, and the rest will not be displayed at all.）
- Revised the in-game text.
- Expanded the hit box of the whip.
- Moved the lights slightly higher in Stage 5.
- Now compatible with iOS versions under 4.0.
- Adjusted the CPU and memory consumption.