by Mike Lata
August 9, 2011
The retro platformer for the iPhone, Meganoid, has received a huge update to version 1.4.8. The update adds new levels and a fresh character for you to play as. You can even play levels backwards. This is a retro platformer to the core and should challenge even the most seasoned of gamers. Meganoid is a twitch-based platformer with challenging gameplay that should suit those who are familiar with the genre stretching back to the late 1980s and 1990s. It also offers a familiar (retro) feel of the era complete with an 8-bit style of pixel art. The visuals are quite charming, however, and bring the title to life. The game should be a blast for those who enjoyed League of Evil. This is because the titles share the rewarding and challenging experience of levels being small in nature, but challenging to overcome without dying. Each level can be completed in minutes, thus making the play style very well suited to mobile gaming. Here is a complete list of features added to version 1.4.8 of the game (taken from the app description):
If you have already completed League of Evil and are looking for another retro-platforming challenge, look no further than Meganoid. The game is available on the App Store for $.99.
- Large amount of new levels: portals, slime, lasers, all there!
- New Sarge levels added
- New character added: Oreah, play the levels backwards!. First 40 levels are now available in this mode
- Many gameplay bug fixes and tweaks have been added
- OpenFeint's GameFeed is removed from title screen, due to slowdown issues
- GameCenter (sic) integration for leaderboards and achievements
League of Evil