October 18, 2012
Tweetbot fans, it has finally happened. Your favorite Twitter client is now available for Mac. The bad news is that it costs $19.99. Originally available as an alpha, Tweetbot For Mac offers many of the tools that have made it a popular choice on the iPhone/iPod touch and iPad. Features include:
In August, Tapbots pulled the alpha software because of new Twitter API rules that limit the amount of user tokens a program can use. That change is what forced Tapbot to charge $20, according to a posting on the company’s blog. They state:
- Multiple Timelines. Quickly switch between your lists as your main timeline.
- Multiple Windows and Columns. Display timelines from different accounts side by side.
- Notification Center Support.
- Beautiful Retina graphics.
- Mute filters lets you block messages from users without unfollowing them. You can also mute hashtags and specific keywords.
- Sync timeline position, direct message read statuses and mute filters between your Mac, iPhone and iPad via iCloud.
- Support for multiple services like Pocket, Instapaper, Readability, CloudApp and Droplr.
- Save drafts, add locations and POI's, attach photos/videos, manage your lists, and much more.
Because of Twitter’s recent enforcement of token limits, we only have a limited number of tokens available for Tweetbot for Mac. These tokens dictate how many users Tweetbot for Mac can have. The app’s limit is separate from, but much smaller than, the limit for Tweetbot for iOS. Once we use up the tokens granted to us by Twitter, we will no longer be able to sell the app to new users. Tapbots will continue to support Tweetbot for Mac for existing customers at that time.We’d be surprised to see Tweetbot for Mac actually pulled from the Mac App Store. Still, if you really want it we suggest downloading it today.