November 12, 2013
Update: You can now order an iPad mini with Retina display via Apple's online store and pick it up at an Apple retail store through Personal Pickup. To see if your local Apple retail store has stock available, follow these steps.
As originally written: Apple’s ability to surprise was validated when it quietly began accepting orders for the iPad mini with Retina display. Now, we’re getting an idea when the second generation tablet could be available in stores. Numerous checks suggest that Apple’s new tablet could be available at Best Buy locations as early as today, Nov. 12. According to representatives we’ve spoken to, it’s highly likely that stores “should” have some stock available when locations open. Reps from Target, meanwhile, didn’t seem to have any knowledge about in store availability. This shouldn’t come as a surprise. It has been our experience that the retailer keeps mum until stock actually becomes available. According to 9to5Mac, due to “limited supply” and “high demand,” the new iPad mini with Retina display will only be available at Apple retail stores through the Personal Pickup service. This allows a buyer to make the purchase online and then pick it up at their nearest Apple retail store location. As Joe White previously noted, Apple is now accepting orders for the new iPad mini online. New orders have a shipping estimate of one to three business days for the 16GB and 32GB Wi-Fi only models, and five to 10 business days for all other iterations of the second-generation small-size tablet. In international territories, where most iDevice users are already awake, these estimates are rapidly being increased. We’ll continue to follow this story and provide updates here as they become available.
- Go to the Apple Online Store
- Select the iPad mini you wish to buy
- On the right side of the screen, you should now see "Available for Pickup" followed by your nearest Apple retail store location. If you don't, you'll need to enter it under "Available for Pickup."
- If you would rather find a tablet at another Apple retail store, click "see more stores." This will bring up the "Personal Pickup Availability" screen.
- Here, you can enter a Zip code to find additional Apple retail store locations.