March 18, 2014
We absolutely adore iOS and Mac accessories from San Francisco, Calif.-based Waterfield Designs. The company's latest product is the Rough Rider Leather Messenger bag. How does it hold up? It's time to find out.
- Company Name: WaterField Designs
- Product Name: Rough Rider Leather Messenger
- Price: $335 for the 13-inch model and $355 for the 15-inch model
- Size: The 13-inch Rough Rider measures 15 inches by 10.5 inches by 3.5 inches, while the larger one is 16.5 inches by 11.5 inches by 3.5 inches
- Compatibility: Has enough space for one laptop and one large-size tablet. Plus keys and a mobile phone, and other small accessories.
- Website: http://www.sfbags.com
- Date Reviewed: March 18, 2014
The BasicsThe Rough Rider is ideal for both casual and professional office environments. It can also work as an overnight bag for those who can pack light. It is made of premium, distressed leather, which almost certainly looks better with age. The bag comes with four deep pockets, two on the inside that are lined with waxed canvas, and two under the flap made of scratch-free material in the color of your choosing. At launch, the accent color choices are black, copper, pine, green, flame, or pearl. The leather flap on the Rough Rider snaps together using two of four buttons, two on either side. This allows for an adjustment, depending on the size of the bag’s contents. The Rough Rider can hold any laptop up to 15-inches, including the MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, plus a tablet, smartphone, and other digital gear. Take a look: http://youtu.be/t1Sjzk0X810
Integration with iOS devicesFor testing purposes, I’ve been using a flame-accented Rough Rider with my 11-inch MacBook Air, 9.7-inch iPad Air, and iPhone 5s. Additionally, I’ve carried around a PlugBug charger from Twelve South. I found there to be plenty of room left for a protein bar (or two), a regular notebook, and more.
AccessoriesThe Rough Rider comes with one non-detachable black nylon strap.
Use and feelThis bag combines style and ruggedness with ease. Waterfield Designs claims this combination exudes an “'already been around the world a couple of times’ masculine confidence,” and they are correct.
Scratches, scuffs, and dirtThe more scratches and scuffs, the better, in my opinion. Still be sure to use a leather cleaner on it occasionally.
- Plenty of pockets and color accent choices
- Designed and made in the United States
- Some might be turned off by the Rough Rider’s price
- Perhaps the strap should be leather too