March 26, 2014
The New York Times has announced two new offerings for digital news hounds. NYT Now is for light readers who get most of their news on smartphones. Times Premier is a new subscription service that goes beyond the publication’s regular content. Both services launch on April 2. NYT Now is the Gray Lady’s first standalone news product beyond its core app, and is designed for readers to quickly catch up on the most important stories from the venerable publication. It will include hand-selected articles, videos, infographics, and slideshows. According to Jill Abramson, executive editor, The New York Times:
The launch of NYT Now marks a significant point in Times history as it is the first mobile product with its own dedicated editorial staff that offers a particular selection of Times stories. NYT Now cuts through the vast amount of content available on the web and social media to provide the most essential stories of the moment, hand-selected by some of the most thoughtful and discerning journalists in our newsroom.At launch, NYT Now will be exclusively available on the iPhone/iPod touch, and through the Internet. The app will be a free download, and cost $8 for a four week subscription. Current subscribers will receive NYT Now access for free. Non-subscribers will be able to read 10 free stories per month. For $45 every four weeks, Times Premier is being described as a “premium subscription service designed for The Times enthusiast and includes tailored content experiences created exclusively for Premier customers.” The enhanced subscription includes Times Insider, a new behind-the-scenes look at how The New York Times newsroom operates. Times Premier also includes:
Current print subscribers can receive access to Times Premier for an additional $10 every four weeks. In the coming months, The New York Times will launch two additional apps — one focused on food, the other on opinion pieces. Pricing information on these apps has not yet been announced. NYT Now and Times Premier both launch on Wednesday, April 2.
- TimesTalks: Exclusive access to new and archived full-length online videos of Times journalists interviewing leading figures in the arts, politics and fashion.
- TBooks: Access to two free TBooks each month. TBooks are curated compilations of articles from The Times’s Archives, each on a single subject. TBooks are available for digital download to iOS, Android and Kindle devices, as well as desktops.
- Crosswords: A four-pack of themed puzzles each month, handpicked for Times Premier subscribers.
- Family access: The ability to share their Times Premier account with two additional family members.
- Gift subscriptions: The ability give a 12-week Times All Digital Access gift subscription to up to three friends each year.
- NYT Store: Access to The New York Times Store Premier Boutique, featuring exclusive discounts on NYT-branded merchandise.