June 4, 2014
Are you a Zite fan and upset that the news app is eventually going to be pulled? You’re in luck because Theneeds app is here for the iPhone/iPod touch. Available for free, Theneeds offers a curated look at the news of the day. Like Zite, it tailors this news to suit you needs and interests, and then learns about your reading habits over time. After signing up, you’ll be asked to select the interests you like best. This list is very large and includes plenty of subcategories. Under Gaming, for example, you’ll see nearly 20 subcategories including sports, racing, and cheats. Under TV, you can select from TV shows, photo galleries, videos, and more. Full app features include:
On Wednesday, Theneeds 2.0 update launched. It features a new home page and new streaming tools, including the ability to remove overlap of text and images, and a simplified actions menu. In March, Flipboard announced it would buy Zite from CNN for “$60 million over time.” Flipboard plans to incorporate some of Zite's tools into its universal app. When it does, Zite will be pulled from the App Store. Theneeds app is available to download here. See also: As Flipboard's Zite Exits, Consider These 4 Alternatives.
- Get the best of the web tailored to your needs & interests and discover news, videos, tweets, and more.
- Sign up and tell us what you like by selecting your interests (you can always change them later).
- Enjoy a beautiful homepage showing previews of top news, stories, videos, and more based on your specific interests
- Scroll left to see more content related to a specific Need and scroll down to explore different Needs (like News, Travel, Music, Sports, Money, and more).
- Browse your Need streams and vote on what you see to help us bring you more of the web you need and curate together what matters most.
- Connect your social network accounts, Facebook, Twitter, to share easily with your network by tapping the share icon.
Theneeds: Best Personalized News App. Discover content tailored to your needs & interests from sources like NYTimes, CNN, NBC, WSJ, Yahoo, FT, theCHIVE, FOX, BuzzFeed, ABC, BBC, LATimes, NPR, WP, NYP, CBS, CNBC, Twitter, FB. Think Flipboard meets Pandora.
Flipboard: Your Social News Magazine