August 5, 2014
On Tuesday, a preorder campaign began for Navdy, a head-up display (HUD) that allows drivers to access their smartphone’s apps while keeping their eyes on the road. Called “Google Glass for your car” by its creators, Navdy combines a projection display with voice and gesture controls. This creates a safer, highly intuitive driving experience. According to Navdy co-founder and CEO Doug Simpson:
Touchscreen-based apps force you to take your eyes off the road. So we started by completely rethinking what the experience of using apps behind the wheel should be like. Navdy is built from the ground up to be the safest and most intuitive way to make calls, use navigation, listen to music or access notifications without ever looking away from the road.Full features include:
Take a look: Early Navdy backers can preorder the device for $299, which is a savings of 40 percent off the projected retail price of $499. Additionally, backers will receive $30 each time someone buys Navdy from a referral. The first-generation Navdy will ship in early 2015. AppAdvice hopes to receive a Navdy test unit in the coming weeks. Until then, you can order your own device by following this link.
- Advanced display technology: Projects a transparent image directly within your field of view that appears to float six feet in front of your windshield so you can maintain your focus on the road while viewing navigation instructions, incoming calls, speed, etc. It’s the same technology used by airline pilots to keep their eyes on the runway while landing an airplane.
- Works in any car: The device can be mounted on any car dashboard, and is powered by plugging in to the onboard computer (OBD II port), available in all cars produced since 1996.
- Intuitive touch-less gesture and voice controls: You never need to look away from the road while using Navdy. Glance-able apps are controlled with intuitive touch-less hand gestures, while voice recognition lets you ask for directions. Navdy’s noise cancellation technology and wide angle gesture sensors are specifically designed to create an optimal driving experience.
- All the apps you need: Navdy works with navigation apps such as Google Maps for turn by turn directions, and music apps such as Spotify, Pandora, iTunes Music and Google Play Music. Navdy can read aloud or display notifications from text messages or social media apps, subject to Parental Control settings. Navdy is compatible with iPhone (iOS 7+) and Android (4.3+) smartphones.
- Integrated with your car: Navdy links to your car and is able to display information such as your speed, RPM, miles-to-empty, fuel economy stats, tire-pressure warning or battery-voltage warning from the car’s computer, all presented on your windshield within your field of view.
- Tuned for the driver: Critical information like turn by turn directions and your speed do not disappear when a phone call comes in the way your navigation app disappears to the background on a smartphone when a call comes in. The information you need, when you need it is always present and clearly within your field of view.