This week’s list features a new creative design app for iPad, the final installment in an epic film series, and more.
Nat Geo View, iPhone
National Geographic’s latest app features the day’s best pictures, stories, and videos. Nat Geo View (free) includes:
- Galleries full of the stunning photography National Geographic is known for
- News stories on topics that affect your world, like the environment, tech, and “weird & wild”
- Daily Dozen: The top 12 images from our Your Shot photo community
- National Geographic magazine articles, redesigned for reading on your iPhone
- Videos that bring science, travel, and adventure to life
- An archive of the last seven days’ worth of content
Forge by Adonit, iPad
Adonit is branching out into the world of apps with Forge (free), a digital workbook and storyboard app for iPad. To start a project, images can be brought in via Dropbox or the Photos app. With the Project Wall, users can see and sort all of their sketches. And the Portfolio view allows easy and quick navigation of all open projects.
Ellen Degeneres’ incredibly popular video app is finally available on iPad. Each day, the talk show host curates the funniest, cutest, and best videos around for ellentube (free). You can add your own favorite videos too.
Offering a “raw and real-time” look at what’s happening around you, Spayce (free) is a new social networking app from 22-year-old Harvard graduate Patrick Colangelo, who has already raised $2.5 million in funding from a Harvard Angel. With Spayce, you can “leave memories in places everywhere you go,” and “see your location through the lens of the memories left there.”
Sounds intriguing, no?
“The Hobbit: The Battle of The Five Armies,” Movie
The third and final title in “The Hobbit” film series arrives on iTunes on Tuesday, March 3. “The Hobbit: The Battle of The Five Armies” ($19.99) is set in Middle-earth 60 years before the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy. The adventure follows the journey of Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom from the fearsome dragon Smaug.