The Me & My Choices application focuses on identifying the user’s personal choices in two modes, recording the choices based on selected areas of interest, and the possibility of sorting areas of interest based on whether they are liked or disliked.
The application encourages self-expression for children with autism and other special needs and offers people with autism, Down syndrome and other disabilities an environment to practice personal choice and express opinions regarding concepts and activities in the surrounding environment, as chosen by the user and those working with him.
Making individual choices, the selection of tasks, games, and expressing opinions about whether they are liked or disliked, is a basis for independent functioning and quality of life. Many individuals in special education frameworks are not asked about their preferences and choices when it comes to much of their daily routine. The use of Me & My Choices calls for work on a variety of areas, while practicing these important skills.
***What’s in the Application?
In the Me & My Choices application, users play a game of roulette centered on personal choices; they create a personal album that collects and records their individual choices, under two game options, “My Choices” or “My Likes and Dislikes.”
1. “My Choices” game
The roulette wheel has six different topics.
2. “My Likes and Dislikes” game
The roulette wheel is divided into six topics, each of which is divided into two sub-topics, “Like” and “Dislike.”
In both games initially the game can be played with the pre-set topics. However, by clicking on the “Edit Topics” button, the topics can then be changed or adapted in line with the user’s individual preferences. After spinning the wheel, a page opens, in the form of a treasure map, and here the user can save his choices. Different methods for entering content can be chosen – typing, recording, adding a picture, or adding a video clip.
***Why is the Me & My Choices application suitable for users with special needs?
1. Content – the application deals with personal choices and self-expression, so significant for users with special needs. The application is an open tool, and users can choose to address content that is relevant to them.
2. A variety of display modes for information, and multi-sensory learning – the information in the application appears using a variety of display modes (text, recordings, illustrations, photographs, and narrated texts). The various display modes support the users’ understanding and expression.
3. Independent work – the application is accompanied by clear explanations for all of the activities. This help is available to users at every stage, and assists in understanding the required actions.
4. Individual adjustment and parental control –Editing and deletion of existing albums can be blocked.
5. Design that is both clear and respectful – the application’s design is appropriate for children and young adolescents, and the graphics are designed to arouse interest, yet are respectful of them.
The Me & My Choices application is part of the Me & My series of applications, a series of interactive, game-based activities that allow the user to work alone or with assistance, and to function meaningfully in the area of personal choices. The aim of the series is to create personal albums in a game-like way, on the subjects of “Me & Myself,” “Me & My Body,” and “Me & My Choices.” The activities in the series encourage the development of individual identity, investigative abilities, the ability to make choices, independent work, sharing, and literacy.
We are certain that you will enjoy working together with your child on the application, and discovering new worlds of individuality.
** Looking for more Special Needs Apps? Visit our website www.snapps.cet.ac.il
*** Do you have any questions? We’re here to answer them. Email us at [email protected]