In 2016, I made the jump to the Apple Watch Series 2. My space gray Nike+ offers noticeable improvements over my first-generation stainless steel model. Despite this, I often find myself using another wearable device, the Fitbit Charge 2.
Simplicity is worth something
Released earlier this year, the Fitbit Charge 2 is an activity tracker, not a smartwatch. This distinction is an important one, especially for those who truly want an all-inclusive wearable device. If you’re one of these folks, definitely go with Apple Watch and one of the many third-party bands available for it.
If your real motivation for buying a wearable device primarily rests on tracking your movements, the Fitbit Charge 2 is a great choice that costs a lot less.
Like its predecessor the Charge HR, the $150 Fitbit Charge 2 has two primary functions. First, it tracks your workouts and sleeping habits. Second, it offers continuous, automatic, wrist-based heart rate monitoring.
The sweat, rain, and splash proof Fitbit Charge 2 also includes important features such as wireless syncing, smartphone notifications, and move alerts. Finally, it offers battery life of up to five days.
The Fitbit Charge 2 is now the No. 1 fitness tracker and wearable device in the United States according to NPD. It probably won’t be losing its crown anytime soon now that it includes more features, courtesy a recently released free software update.
These new features include:
- Pause and Resume Workouts: Simply press the button when you’re using multi-sport mode to pause and restart your workout, helping you track just the time you are active.
- New Heart Rate Zone Visualization: A tachometer-style visualization of your heart rate zones during multi-sport mode lets you see which zone you are in and the progress needed to reach the next zone, letting you adjust your effort with more precision and maximize your workout.
- Guided Breathing Session Feedback: During a Relax guided breathing session, a light vibration from the device will signal when you need to inhale or exhale so you can close your eyes, fully relax, and find more moments of calm.
- Battery Life Indicator: Know exactly when to recharge your tracker and guarantee you’ll get credit for every step you take with the ability to view the battery percentage directly on the device display.
- New Clock Face: Charge 2 now has more ways to wear it with a new clock face that lets you see each second of every minute so you never miss a moment.
- Do Not Disturb: Turn notifications on or off directly on the device so you can stay focused without distraction.