Discover new shows. Castro makes it easy to discover new shows if you don't want to import your existing podcast subscriptions over. Just browse through the categories, check out show descriptions and see the latest episodes. You can start playing an episode right now, queue it up, or subscribe to the show to get all of the latest episodes as they happen.
Night and day, triage to your heart's content. There is a day and night theme in Castro for easy podcast listening and management, even before bedtime. Go through your inbox and review episode descriptions before deciding if you want to listen to the episode and archive the rest. It's a brand new way to look at your podcasts.
Streamlined playback view. Castro 2 features a streamlined "Now Playing" screen where you can view show notes, tap on links, and even bring up a larger view where you can toggle a sleep timer, change playback speed, and pinpoint where you want to scrub to in the audio track.
Tabbed Interface. The new tabbed interface in Castro makes it much easier to navigate and find what you want to listen to. This feature also translates over to the CarPlay display when your iPhone is in your auto.
Subscribe. Finding podcasts to listen to is super easy in Castro. Simply browse or search for a 'cast, tap it, then Subscribe and add either to the top or the bottom of the queue. Then you can play it in the Widget, CarPlay, or the app itself.
Widget. Add the Castro widget to your Home or Lock screen with a tap on the Edit button. Then, swipe left from either screen to see all your Widgets. Tap on any of the 4 - 12 podcast episodes available to start them playing without ever having to launch Castro the app.
What is it about?
Supertop is at it again with Castro 2. In this revamped version of Castro, users can easily discover new shows or import existing podcast subscriptions from other apps. All new episodes go to the Inbox, where you can review episode descriptions and determine what is worth listening to, and then archive the rest. You can also find new shows and just listen to individual episodes, add them to the top or bottom of your queue, favorite them for reference later, and even subscribe if you want to get new episodes delivered to the inbox. Swipe vertically with two fingers to toggle day or night modes, and fine tune your various podcast player settings. Castro 2 is a must for any podcast enthusiast who wants a better way to manage their podcasts while still having a gorgeous app to look at.
For those who...
- Need better podcast subscription management
- Like beautifully designed apps
- Aren't satisfied with competing podcast player apps
Not for those who...
- Like unique features from other podcast apps (like Overcast's Smart Speed)
- Don't need a better way to manage podcasts
- Don't want to pay money for access to podcasts
Why we love it
Castro 2 features a beautiful new design and makes management of your podcast subscriptions and episodes easier than ever before.
App Store Description
Castro lets you track lots of podcasts at once without getting overwhelmed. Here’s how it works:
1) Newly published episodes land in the INBOX. From here, you can read the descriptions, decide if you’re interested, queue the good ones and archive the rest.
2) The QUEUE is a central playlist to plan your listening in advance. Queued episodes are automatically downloaded.
3) Press Play. Castro plays your queue in order from top to bottom. Reorder or archive queued episodes anytime.
4) In the ARCHIVE you can find the back catalogue of all shows you subscribe to, browse your listening history, and easily access your starred episodes
We call this “Triage”. Triage lets you expand your listening habits without getting overwhelmed. With Castro, subscribing to a podcast doesn’t mean making a commitment to listen to every episode. You don’t have to choose a narrow few shows and miss out on the rest.
SHARING AND DISCOVERING NEW PODCASTS
Castro provides the top charts by genre so you can browse popular shows easily. Tap search to easily find shows you know or hear about.
Personal recommendations from friends are another great way to find new shows. Castro users can easily share direct links to specific episodes. Tapping a Castro link will open the episode in the app, where you can queue it right away without subscribing to the entire podcast. If your friends don't have Castro yet, a beautiful web interface lets them play the episode from a browser.
The Castro iMessage App makes sharing even easier.
- Easily share recently played episodes with your friends and family
- When you receive a recommendation from someone else add it to your queue without leaving the Messages app
Castro maintains a chronological list of your played episodes in History. This makes it easy to find these episodes for sharing later.
If you hear an episode you love, you can star it. Your starred list becomes your personal podcast hall of fame, allowing you to easily share your favourite episodes next time someone asks you for a recommendation.
ALL THESE EXTRA FEATURES
- Castro sports an elegant dark mode and well-thought out sleep timer, offering the best in night time podcast listening.
- Our "Tentacles" backend server constantly scans for new episodes across every podcast, so your phone doesn’t have to, saving battery life and data usage.
- Castro can notify you as soon as episodes are published.
- Download and Storage management: Queued episodes are automatically downloaded, so you can focus on deciding what you want to hear and let Castro manage the details.
- Fine scrubbing: drag the playhead to scan quickly, or drag the waveform for precision scrubbing.
- Beautifully rendered full screen show notes allow you to follow up and explore links of episodes that provide these details.
- Rotation support, and big playback controls on the player for easy use while driving.