Check the details on WatchAware
Discover new shows. Castro makes it easy to discover new shows if you don't want to import your existing podcast subscriptions over. Just browse through the categories, check out show descriptions and see the latest episodes. You can start playing an episode right now, queue it up, or subscribe to the show to get all of the latest episodes as they happen.
Night and day, triage to your heart's content. There is a day and night theme in Castro for easy podcast listening and management, even before bedtime. Go through your inbox and review episode descriptions before deciding if you want to listen to the episode and archive the rest. It's a brand new way to look at your podcasts.
Streamlined playback view. Castro 2 features a streamlined "Now Playing" screen where you can view show notes, tap on links, and even bring up a larger view where you can toggle a sleep timer, change playback speed, and pinpoint where you want to scrub to in the audio track.
Tabbed Interface. The new tabbed interface in Castro makes it much easier to navigate and find what you want to listen to. This feature also translates over to the CarPlay display when your iPhone is in your auto.
Subscribe. Finding podcasts to listen to is super easy in Castro. Simply browse or search for a 'cast, tap it, then Subscribe and add either to the top or the bottom of the queue. Then you can play it in the Widget, CarPlay, or the app itself.
Widget. Add the Castro widget to your Home or Lock screen with a tap on the Edit button. Then, swipe left from either screen to see all your Widgets. Tap on any of the 4 - 12 podcast episodes available to start them playing without ever having to launch Castro the app.
What is it about?
A new Apple Watch app will allow users to control podcast playback and choose new episodes from the queue to play.
For those who...
- Need better podcast subscription management
- Like beautifully designed apps
- Aren't satisfied with competing podcast player apps
Not for those who...
- Like unique features from other podcast apps (like Overcast's Smart Speed)
- Don't need a better way to manage podcasts
- Don't want to pay money for access to podcasts
Why we love it
Castro Podcasts supports Siri commands
Castro Podcasts is FREE but there are more add-ons
App Store Description
Castro lets you track lots of podcasts at once without getting overwhelmed. Here’s how it works:
1) New episodes land in the INBOX. Read the descriptions, queue the good ones and archive the rest.
2) The QUEUE is a central playlist for organizing your next few hours of listening. Queued episodes are downloaded automatically.
3) Press Play. Castro plays your queue in order from top to bottom. Reorder or archive queued episodes anytime.
4) In the ARCHIVE you can find the back catalogue of all shows you subscribe to, browse your listening history, and easily access your starred episodes.
This flow lets you expand your listening habits without getting overwhelmed. With Castro, subscribing to a podcast doesn’t mean making a commitment to listen to every episode. You don’t have to choose a few shows and miss the rest.
* Drag and drop support helps you triage and reorder your queue.
* Castro sports an elegant dark mode (requires Castro Plus) and well-thought out sleep timer, offering the best in night time podcast listening.
* Our servers constantly scan for new episodes across every podcast, so your phone doesn’t have to, saving battery life and data usage.
* Queued episodes are automatically downloaded, so you can focus on deciding what you want to hear and let Castro manage the details.
* Beautifully rendered full screen show notes.
* Episode notifications include a short summary of the episode to help you decide if it interests you. You can play, queue or archive the episode directly from the notification without opening the app.
* CarPlay support.
* Watch app to control playback and select another episode from your queue.
* Full play history.
* Star episodes to easily find your favorite episodes later.
Castro Plus is an optional subscription to unlock a range of advanced features. There are quarterly and yearly payment options, and both include a one week trial.
+ Trim Silence — With this option on, the app will analyze audio as it plays to detect silent parts and accelerate those parts. Get through more episodes faster.
+ Enhance Voices improves the listening experience for many podcasts and makes it easier to hear in loud environments. Under the hood, Enhance Voices applies a dynamic compressor and a peak limiter to increase volume just where it’s needed.
* Sideloading allows import of audio files directly, just by dropping them in iCloud Drive.
+ Mono-Mix — Mixes a stereo podcast to mono, which makes it easier to hear podcasts that pan some guests on left/right channels.
+ Chapter Support: Skipping & Pre-selection.
+ Chapter and episode artwork.
+ Episode Limit lets users specify what number of episodes of each podcast to keep.
+ Set a start position for episodes of each podcast.
+ Customize settings per-podcast: Episode Limit, Trim Silence, Enhance Voices, Mono Mix, Skip Intros, Playback Speed.
Castro Plus costs $8.99 per year or $2.99 per quarter. Prices are in US dollars and may vary in countries other than the US.
Castro Plus is charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase. It will renew on the day before the current subscription period ends. You can cancel auto-renewal any time from the Castro settings screen.
You can switch between the two subscription periods after you pick one, but your trial period will end immediately if you do, so it's best to wait till your free week is over before changing.
Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period. Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
AppAdvice does not own this application and only provides images and links contained in the iTunes Search API, to help our users find the best apps to download. If you are the developer of this app and would like your information removed, please send a request to [email protected] and your information will be removed.