Covering more than 220 countries and an astounding 15,000 cities across the world, Google maps is comprehensive and a traveler's best friend. Apple Watch users can also take advantage of the app on the wearable device. Along with directions and traffic information, you can also use the app to learn about what's around you and other points of interested.
Watch the trailer
Check the details on WatchAware
Google Maps. One of the best third-party navigation apps.
Book a ride. If you have Uber or any other supported ride-sharing or taxi-hailing app installed on your iOS device, you’ll see fare estimates and pick-up times when you tap the ride service tab in Google Maps. Just select a service to be taken directly to the corresponding app, all set for you to book your ride.
Search with Spotlight. You can use Spotlight search to find and directly view the places you recently looked at in Google Maps as well as the places you’ve saved in the app.
What is it about?
Google Maps is probably the most comprehensive free maps app on iOS. The app allows you to use Google’s local search to find places to eat, drink, and shop around you. Google’s local search pulls up reviews and ratings of places you find to help you decide whether a place is worth going to. In addition to the local search, Google Maps features full, voice guided, turn-by-turn navigation when you’re driving. You can view walking and public transport routes in the app, too. There is also live traffic information available for select cities within the app. There are swipe based gestures in the app that make the minimalistic user interface very intuitive. Google Maps is what Apple Maps should have always been.
For those who...
- Are looking for a comprehensive and free navigation app not from Apple
- Enjoy the unique Street View feature
- Heavily invested in Google's ecosystem
Not for those who...
- Don't enjoy Google's interesting and unique UI choices
- Prefer to stay in Apple's ecosystem
Why we love it
If you're looking for a free alternative to Apple Maps, this is the cream of the crop. While the interesting UI might not be for everyone, Google Maps is still arguably even better than Apple's own system and definitely worth a look - especially if you're well ingrained in other Google apps.
App Store Description
Google Maps makes navigating your world faster and easier. Find the best places in town and the information you need to get there.
Get there faster with real-time updates
• Beat traffic with real-time ETAs and traffic conditions
• Catch your bus, train, or ride-share with real-time transit info
• Save time with automatic re-routing based on live traffic, incidents, and road closures
• Don't miss a turn or exit with lane guidance
• Find pit stops along your route like gas stations and coffee spots
Discover places and explore like a local
• Find top-rated restaurants and local businesses, wherever you are
• Decide on the best places to go with reviews, ratings, and pictures of foods and interiors
• Plan your visit and see menus, make reservations, and find when places are typically busiest
• Help others discover the best places by sharing reviews, photos and more
• Save places you want to or often visit, and quickly find them later from any computer or device
Experience the Google Maps difference
• Offline maps to search and navigate without an internet connection
• Street View and indoor imagery for restaurants, shops, museums and more
• Indoor maps to quickly find your way inside big places like airports, malls and stadiums
• Comprehensive, accurate maps in 220 countries and territories
• Transit schedules and maps for over 15,000 cities
• Detailed business information on over 100 million places
* Some features not available in all countries
**Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.