iCatcher! is the closest app in spirit to Downcast, as it costs the same, is universal, and uses iCloud sync. iCatcher, however, doesn’t feel as polished as Downcast; its features and interface lack the intuitive ease of use of the best iOS apps. To counteract this, iCatcher has pop up tips, but they quickly become annoying, especially when you realize that you actually need them. Another way of looking at it is that iCatcher doesn’t feel like it was designed to fall within the typical iOS users’ expectations for app functionality. That’s not to say it’s a bad app, but it does have a learning curve. Once you master it, you’ll be rewarded with an app with features such as: playlists, extremely customizable settings, AirPlay support, continuous playback, support for password protected feeds, and a sleep timer.
Check the details on WatchAware
Find and search. Just like the others, iCatcher has a simple way for you to find new shows to listen to. When you go to add a podcast, you can browse various categories and subcategories in order to narrow it down. There are many different topics to choose from, so you are bound to find what you need in the catalog. Everything is also laid out in an organized fashion, so chances are low that you'll ever get lost, despite the power and functionality of the app itself. Once you find a show that interests you, just tap on it to view more information, and then make sure to hit subscribe or download an individual episode that catches your eye.
Take action. Just as any good podcast player app would do, you can take a plethora of actions on individual episodes as you listen to them. During playback, you can tap on the buttons to bring up several different options that you can perform. For example, you can change it to stream and not take up space on your device or you can change it to download a local copy of the file and save yourself the data charges. If you want to listen to the episode again, you can mark it as New and go back to it later, or mark it as Played if you are tired of it and just want to move on with your life. iCatcher may not be the prettiest app around, but it provides you with the right features for a good price.
Packed with settings. As with any good app these days, there has to be some kind of syncing service so that your data and settings go with you, no matter which device you choose to use. Fortunately, iCatcher has you covered. The app uses iCloud sync that is seamless and automatic so that your subscriptions, playlists, and settings go with you from device-to-device, as long as you are logged in to your iCloud account, that is. There are a ton of different settings available in the app as well, so if you want the best experience, it is recommended to take some time and explore what you can and can't do with the app to make it tailored to fit your needs like a good glove.
What is it about?
iCatcher is another flexible and powerful podcast player that is similar to Downcast but has a somewhat better interface design. Users can easily find the shows that they are looking for, subscribe or download individual episodes, create playlists and set custom rules so that they don't have to do much work when it comes to listenng to what they want when they want it, and more. It's another app that is fantastic for power users, but not particularly useful for those who prefer a simple listening experience.
For those who...
- Like powerful functionality in their podcast app
- Want customization
Not for those who...
- Don't need extra features
- Want something pretty
Why we love it
While it may not look the prettiest, it has solid functionality and features that any power user would appreciate.
iCatcher! Podcast Player is $2.99 but there are more add-ons
Really Big Thank You Tip
Big Thank You Tip
Thank You Tip
App Store Description
Download, listen, watch and enjoy your favorite podcasts.
• Subscribe to your favorite podcasts in the app and manage them in the app
• Download episodes over WiFi or Cellular (on devices that have cellular).
• Support for Password Protected feeds
• Background Refresh
• Download in the background
• Sync subscriptions, episode playback positions and playlists between your devices with iCloud
• Universal App (iPhone/iPad)
• Search in all views to find that podcast or episode you are looking for
• Custom playlists with filtering options by podcast, episodes and more.
• Support for continuous playback (toggle it on now playing screen just below time elapsed).
• All device orientations supported with configurable option in the settings
• You can unsubscribe to podcasts and still have them on your device. Use that for those less than stellar podcasts!
• Variable playback speed
• Playback speed remembered per podcast
• Support for podcasts with chapters and chapter images (MP3 and M4A)
• Use your headset controls including Bluetooth car controls (when paired) to play/pause, jump forward or back 30 seconds
• Sleep timer
• Beautifully rendered show notes
• Onscreen controls for skipping ahead and skipping back
• Gesture Support on the now playing screen (when the podcast logo is showing) to aid in hands free use
• Double-tap to play/pause
• Swipe up to toggle playback speed
• Swipe left/right to rewind/fast-forward
• Home of the L gesture for the 2 minute Leo jump.
• See Settings and Gestures for more and for customizing rewind/fast-forward gestures
• Support for AirPlay, watch or listen to those podcasts on your big screen
• Support for external display of videos for devices that support an external display (get the Apple HDMI adapter)
• Watch or listen to your favorite podcasts with a familiar layout
FIND NEW PODCASTS QUICK
• Find your podcasts by title, keyword or by author
• Browse the top podcasts by category
• Manually add podcasts with a URL
• Support for Password Protected feeds
• Option to download a single episode
• Browse the web in the app to find podcasts to add. Browser will prompt if you tap a link that is podcast feed.
• Import Podcast subscriptions for episodes that are already in your device from iTunes
• Import your OPML file from iTunes or other iOS podcast app
• Import media by using iTunes File Sharing feature
• Add your existing audiobooks (non-password protected ones) using iTunes File Sharing feature
• Add previously downloaded podcasts from your computer using iTunes file sharing feature (see settings and import media for details).
• Completely customizable to meet your podcasts needs.
• Swipe across a podcast or episode to access additional options
• Podcast settings allow you to set the days the podcast typically comes out or the number of days between.
• Specify the number of episodes to download when new ones are available
• Share the podcast information via email with your friends
Email: tap Help tab and tap Email Support
PLEASE NOTE: The app does NOT sync with iTunes. Like other podcast apps it is standalone app meant to subscribe and download on the device.
* If a feed doesn't work, then let me know so I can take a look at it
Requires iOS 12.1 or higher.
AppAdvice does not own this application and only provides images and links contained in the iTunes Search API, to help our users find the best apps to download. If you are the developer of this app and would like your information removed, please send a request to [email protected] and your information will be removed.