Since its original release in October 2012, Retro City Rampage has wreaked havoc on a variety of console and desktop platforms, including Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, Microsoft Windows, Nintendo 3DS, PlayStation 4, OS X, DOS, and Linux. Now, it’s all set to cause some serious virtual damage on mobile with the release on the App Store of its enhanced version, Retro City Rampage DX.
Reloaded. Retro City Rampage lets you explore and run amok across an 8-bit, chiptune-soundtracked open world with a variety of story missions, arcade challenges, weapons, power-ups, vehicles, and character customizations. The impressive thing, though, is that even with that much content, the game weighs in at just over 10MB.
Remastered. Retro City Rampage DX features a full Story Mode of open-world missions, which begins with you assuming the role of a thug for hire who decides to work as a henchman for a major crime syndicate. It includes Arcade Challenges that offer on-the-go, fast-paced pick-up-and-play action. There’s also a Free Roaming Mode. Basically, it’s the entire original game, including all mini-games and even the anaglyphic 3-D racer modes, but optimized for iOS, with support for MFi gamepads as well as touch controls.
What is it about?
Developed by Vblank Entertainment, Retro City Rampage DX is an action-adventure game that’s essentially a wacky sendup of retro games and the open-world crime genre popularized by Grand Theft Auto. In this 8-bit throwback, you can go on a rampage across the city, stealing cars and breaking the law at every return as you play through dozens of missions.
For those who...
- ... like retro and open-world crime games, or at least like to play a parody of them. ... like 8-bit, chiptune-soundtrack games.
Not for those who...
- ... don't like retro-style and open-world action-adventure games. ... have no sense of humor.
Why we love it
Retro City Rampage DX is an excellent sendup of retro and open-world crime games that you can enjoy whether you like or dislike the kinds of games that it parodies. And whether you’ve played Retro City Rampage in its older editions or you’ve just been introduced to the game, Retro City Rampage DX should offer much in the way of action and adventure on your iOS device.
App Store Description
• 20% OFF SALE - LIMITED TIME ONLY •
Retro City Rampage reimagines the open world crime genre in the ‘80s! Rampage the city, steal cars, or play over 60 story mode missions!
This remastered pop culture send-up features a full Story Mode of open world missions, along with Arcade Challenges for quick pick-up-and-play action. Explore the city by foot or by car, and discover minigames, customizations, collectibles, special guest stars, and more.
• Universal App
• Supports MFi Controllers
• English, Français, Italiano, Deutsch, Español
• 8-BIT Open-World
• Over 60 Story Missions
• Over 40 Arcade Challenges
• Over 25 Weapons & Power-Ups
• Over 50 Vehicles to Steal & Equip
• Over 200 Character Customizations
• Over 2.5 Hours of Chiptune Music
EXTRAS & MINIGAMES
• Includes "ROM City Rampage" Prototype Version (100% 8-BIT hardware accurate, could've actually been released in '89!)
• Includes official crossovers and minigames with Minecraft, Super Meat Boy, BIT.TRIP and Epic Meal Time.