What is it about?
SkyView is a bit different from other apps lbecause it uses the iPhone's camera as its viewfinder. In other words, you can hold your phone up and see stars, planets, and constellations through your camera. You can also see how the sky will look on a day in the future or past. In addition to that, SkyView gives you information about objects in the sky when clicked, which gives a variety of facts about the selected space object. Due to its unique feature set, this app is a nice, different choice for those who are looking for an app to tour the sky. It will not leave you disappointed, especially with its price tag of free.
For those who...
- Enjoy learning about astronomy
- Are fascinated with the cosmos
Not for those who...
- Are not interested in astronomy
- Prefer their current astronomy app
Why we love it
SkyView Free - Explore the Universe is an informative and helpful app for all levels of astronomers. Identify what you see by pointing your device and capture gorgeous shots to share with friends.
SkyView® Lite is FREE but there are more add-ons
Brightest Satellites & Sightings
Stargazing Music Pack
App Store Description
SkyView® Lite brings stargazing to everyone! Simply point your iPhone, iPad, or iPod at the sky to identify stars, constellations, satellites, and more!
Downloaded over 9 million times.
If you like our lite version of SkyView then you'll love our full version! It includes: a convenient Apple Watch app, a Today Widget displaying tonight's brightest objects, ALL in-app purchases offered in this version, thousands more objects to discover, and more!
App Store Best of 2012
App Store Rewind 2011 -- Best Education App
“If you've ever wanted to know what you're looking at in the night sky, this app is the perfect stargazer's companion.”
"If you’ve ever been looking for a stargazing app for your iPhone, then this [is] definitely the one to get."
“SkyView is an Augmented Reality app that lets you see just what delights the sky has to offer.”
– 148Apps Editor’s Choice
You don't need to be an astronomer to find stars or constellations in the sky, just open SkyView® Lite and let it guide you to their location and identify them. SkyView® Lite is a beautiful and intuitive stargazing app that uses your camera to precisely spot and identify celestial objects in sky, day or night. Find your favorite constellations as they fade in and out while you scan across the sky, locate the Moon, discover distant galaxies, and witness satellite fly-bys.
• Simple: Point your device at the sky to identify galaxies, stars, constellations and satellites (including the ISS and Hubble) passing overhead at your location.
• Sightings: set reminders for celestial events and plan an evening stargazing & spotting satellites.
• Augmented Reality (AR): Use your camera to spot objects in the sky, day or night.
• Sky Paths: Follow the daily sky tracks for the Sun and Moon to see their exact locations in the sky on any date & time.
• Time Travel: Jump to the future or the past and see the sky on different dates and times.
• Social: Capture and share beautiful images with friends and family on social networks.
• Mobile: WiFi is NOT required (does not require a data signal or GPS to function). Take it camping, boating, or even flying!
• Supports Space Navigator™ binoculars, spotting scope, and telescopes.
What a fun way to teach yourself, your children, your students, or your friends about our wonderful universe!
AppAdvice does not own this application and only provides images and links contained in the iTunes Search API, to help our users find the best apps to download. If you are the developer of this app and would like your information removed, please send a request to [email protected] and your information will be removed.