by Joe White
September 16, 2010
Remember Apple's Liquidmetal, which we told you about last month? Well, Apple is now looking for a metal expert to work with this strange new substance. And, the position requires a lot more than simply knowing Iron Maiden from Black Sabbath. In fact, it requires a whole lot more. When we say Apple wants a "metal expert," we really do mean expert. Check out the job requirements, below:
As you can see, the role (Amorphous Metal Development Manager) certainly requires a fair bit of experience. Interestingly enough, Apple has already been working with Liquidmetal for some time. In actual fact, Liquidmetal itself is present within our iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4 handsets - it was used to make the sim tray ejector (US phones only). However, once their metal expert is on board, I think it's safe to expect the increased use of this strange substance within Apple's future products.
- Developing amorphous alloy composition, molding and forming processes, and secondary operations (e.g. machining, grinding, finishing) as applicable to Apple requirements.
- Meeting quality, capacity, logistics and cost requirements by working closely with Industrial Design, Product Design and Global Supply Managers.
- Identifying, researching, developing, and qualifying world-class equipment manufacturers and suppliers.
- Optimizing process capabilities to achieve dimensional tolerance and cosmetic finish requirements.
- Developing manufacturing processes including all parameters, consumables and secondary operation requirements to meet defined specifications.
- Working with Global Supply Managers to define and establish supply chain requirements utilizing selected equipment and manufacturing suppliers.
- Amorphous Alloy composition, processing, and finishing familiarity essential.
- Provide onsite support at manufacturing sites during development.