by Mike Lata
May 12, 2011
Army of Darkness Defense has finally been released on the App Store and it's looking great. We previewed the game a few weeks ago; it is based on a 1992 feature film with plenty of tie-ins to that movie (including over 100 lines of dialogue). However, even if you are not a fan of horror B-movies, the game has plenty to offer and is worth checking out. Army of Darkness Defense is a combination of tower defense and hack 'n' slash games. The game has you controlling a character named Ash and defending a castle from an army of darkness, but you also have control over various defenses to the castle that can be set up as barriers. You can even summon your own army of troops against the enemy and earn gold through hard-fought battles. Gold is the main currency for purchasing upgrades and troops, and it can also be purchased via in-app purchases. The castle you defend in Army of Darkness Defense is actually Lord Arthur's castle and the story is based on time travel. You can call on the help of Lord Arthur, Duke Henry the Red, the Wiseman, and others to help fight the hordes of undead trying to overtake the castle. The goal is to help Ash defend an unholy book that he must use to return to his own time. Here is a list of features (from the app description):
Grab Army of Darkness Defense for iPhone on the App Store for only $.99. The iPad version, Army of Darkness Defense HD, currently costs $2.99 on the App Store.
- Bruce Campbell as Ash Williams
- Beautiful, fully animated graphics
- A wide variety of allies to summon including swordsmen, armored knights, archers, and more
- 50 initial waves and an unlockable endless wave
- Awards and leaderboards via Game Center
- More than 100 hilarious quotes from the movie
- Countless hoards of deadites
- Originally composed music score
- Tons of special abilities including the boomstick, the chainsaw, the '88 oldsmobile deathcoaster and many more spells
- All of your favorite characters including Arthur, Henry, Sheila, the Wiseman, Evil Ash, and many more!