by Joe White
September 19, 2011
The iPhone Dev-Team has released a new and improved version of redsn0w, its popular jailbreak tool. Now, users of the software can take advantage of a variety of exciting features, including the ability to kick an iOS device out of recovery mode, and support for those all-important SHSH blobs. As outlined by the iPhone Dev-Team itself, new features added in redsn0w 0.9.9b1 (which is available for both Windows and Mac), include:
Previously, in order to have all the above features on-board, jailbreak fans would have to have downloaded a variety of separate applications (such as PwnageTool and TinyUmbrella). Now, it's possible to do so much more from within one single application, which is great. The iPhone Dev-Team notes that the software still supports the same iOS firmware as before, and that this update only adds the above features. For more information on redsn0w, including download links, head on over to the iPhone Dev-Team's website.
- uses DFU mode to try to automatically determine which device and FW you have
- fetches pieces of public IPSWs from Apple (once). Non-public IPSWs must be provided manually (once). It then caches those pieces for future use.
- “Just boot” is a tethered boot. Uses whatever “Preferences” you’ve set for boot logo and kernel boot-args
- “Pwned DFU” puts your device in a pwned DFU state for some of the iTunes stuff detailed below
- “Recovery fix” gets past 1015 types of errors (when baseband portion of restore fails). Should work on iOS5 beta too
- “Select IPSW” is for picking non-public IPSWs, or overriding auto-detection
- “SHSH blobs” has a bunch of options…
- “Fetch” - fetch current PARTIAL blobs on device. Should complete in under 10 or 15 seconds. Puts the set of PARTIAL of blobs on your computer as a plist. Checks if Cydia already has a full set for this device and build. If not, it submits this PARTIAL set and returns Cydia’s acknowledgement or rejection
- “Verify” - cryptographically verifies existing blob files from either redsn0w, TinyUmbrella, or Cydia server. You can select a whole bunch of blobs to verify at once if you want (like the TinyUmbrella directory)
- “Submit” - both verifies and submits one or more blob files to Cydia. This lets you copy your entire TinyUmbrella cache of blobs up to the Cydia server
- “Query” - queries the Cydia server for all available FULL or PARTIAL blobs for a given set of ECIDs
- “Stitch” - stitches either FULL or PARTIAL blobs to a STOCK or CUSTOM IPSW