February 24, 2012
Last year, I reviewed Writing Kit, an excellent writing app for your iPhone and iPad. It has also been updated several times, with the 3.0 version bringing a completely revamped file drawer and Quick Research screen. The 3.1 update adds more useful features, such as a line spacing option, more special keys on the keyboard (parentheses, square bracket, ampersand, etc.), gestures to indent or un-indent text, and more. The thing that sets Writing Kit apart from other writing apps on iOS is the fact that it has full support for research sessions while you’re writing. Whether it’s the Quick Research to get some quick bits of information, or using the full fledged in-app web browser, Writing Kit allows you to do all of your research without ever having to leave the app. It’s great, and oh-so-convenient, which is a must nowadays. Writing Kit has been a very solid writing app since the first release, and it has only been getting better. It has become my main writing app on my iPhone, since it seems that Second Gear’s Elements is unreliable these days (until the next update). If you’re serious about writing on your iOS device, then definitely check out Writing Kit. The full change log:
GIVEAWAY: I have 10 copies of the updated Writing Kit to give away to some awesome AppAdvice readers! For your chance of winning a copy, leave a comment on this post (with a valid email address so that I may contact the winners) explaining how you would use Writing Kit by Sunday, Feb. 26 at 8 p.m. PST. The winners will be picked randomly. Good luck!
- ADDED: Line spacing option
- ADDED: More keys to Formatting toolbar in iPad version. Access them by swiping the toolbar to the left with one finger.
- ADDED: Swipe with one finger to indent/un-indent current paragraph/selection
- ADDED: Terminology Integration toggle for non-English users
- ADDED: More credits to Settings app
- CHANGED: Font size control to display exact point size
- CHANGED: Clever Return Key help text
- CHANGED: Heading button for now only produces H1 headers. To be fixed in future versions to include H2 to H6.
- CHANGED: Clever Return Key supports * and - as list item indicator
- FIXED: Suggestions… doesn’t work in 3.0
- FIXED: Auto-Correction, Auto-Capitalization, TextExpander and Check Spelling settings don’t stick
- FIXED: Edge case in which Clever Return Key fails to work
Writing Kit - Research & Write Markdown/Fountain Documents
Quang Anh Do
Elements For Dropbox - A Markdown Notes and Writing App