January 16, 2013
Poster, which is arguably the best WordPress blog editor in the App Store, has just been updated to version 2.0. Like most other 2.0 updates, Poster 2.0 offers lots of new features and improvements. One significant new feature is support for custom post types, which you can enable for your WordPress.org blog within the app settings. Another is the ability to insert images at a specific location in a post by tapping and holding within the editor. And yet another is localization for English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish. Also, Poster now lets you: edit a post's excerpt, set a post as sticky, remove a post's featured image, reorder your blogs, and save edits to published posts before republishing. Furthermore, the new version of the app introduces an improved URL scheme, which you can check out on Poster developer Tom Witkin's website. But that's not all. Poster 2.0 also brings a number of fixes and the following changes:
Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad running iOS 6.0 or later, Poster 2.0 is available now in the App Store as a free update or as a new $2.99 download. In his release notes for Poster's latest update, Witkin says that he's "dedicated to making this app perfect." Looking at what Poster has become since its launch in August last year, I have no doubt that it's on its way to being a perfect WordPress blog editor on iOS. [gallery link="file" order="DESC"]
- Typing a space in the slug field now inserts a dash rather than presenting an error, allowing for quicker entry
- Maximum post download limit increased to 100 posts
- Ability to edit a post's excerpt, slug, or comments is now hidden by default in the post inspector. They can be unhidden by tapping "Options" in the inspector. All fields in the inspector can now be hidden.
- Custom fields can now be given a friendlier label that's used in the interface (ex: LinkFormatURL --> Link)
- HTML preview and auto Markdown conversion now converts “--” and “---” to en and em dashes, respectively
- New icon
- Improved speed when syncing posts
- Improved formatting when sharing a published post (unique formatting for Twitter/Facebook, email, and clipboard). Clipboard now receives only the link to a post.
- Edits to posts are automatically saved. There's no need to manually save a post anymore.
- Faster title entry on iPhone
- Improved memory usage and launch times (the initial launch may take longer than normal due to a one-time data migration)
Poster - a WordPress blog editor