November 12, 2013
If you want an iPad mini with Retina display within the next few days, and don’t have the time to actually visit a store, we’ve got some news for you. Just hours after Apple began accepting orders online for the new tablet, shipping times are getting longer. At the time of this writing, shipping times on the 64GB and 128GB Wi-Fi only model has slipped to “5 to 10 days” in the U.S. store. The same status welcomes would-be buyers who wish to purchase any of the Wi-Fi + Cellular models. Meanwhile, the 16GB and 32GB Wi-Fi only models remain available to ship in “1 to 3 business days,” regardless of color choice. As was previously reported, Apple has now begun accepting online orders for pickup. We have also received word that some Best Buy stores also have the new tablet in stock -- at least in limited supply. To see if your local Apple retail store has stock available, follow these steps.
First announced on Oct. 22, the iPad mini with Retina display became available for order earlier today, Nov. 12. This came less than two weeks after the iPad Air first went on sale. Our advice: If you want an iPad mini with Retina display in your hands before the end of the day, you would be wise to place an online order now through Apple and select personal pickup, or visit a Best Buy store. If you want a tablet by next week, order one online now. Otherwise, you might come away empty-handed. With the new tablet said to be in limited supply, it will be interesting to see how long it takes for stock to become depleted for guaranteed Christmas delivery. At the rate we’re seeing, that might happen sooner, rather than later. Stay tuned.
- Go to the Apple Online Store
- Select the iPad mini you wish to buy
- On the right side of the screen, you should now see "Available for Pickup" followed by your nearest Apple retail store location. If you don't, you'll need to enter it under "Available for Pickup."
- If you would rather find a tablet at another Apple retail store, click "see more stores." This will bring up the "Personal Pickup Availability" screen.
- Here, you can enter a Zip code to find additional Apple retail store locations.