July 23, 2014
The team behind the popular Paper by FiftyThree design app for iPad and Pencil stylus has announced the new FiftyThree SDK. With this new tool, developers can now take advantage of the creative features of Pencil for use in their own apps. First launched in November, Pencil can connect to the iPad through Bluetooth 4.0. Until now, the accessory could only work with the Paper by FiftyThree app, allowing users to blend colors or take advantage of the build-in eraser. With the SDK, developers can now utilize the following Pencil tools:
Developers will also be able to use Pencil’s new Surface Pressure tool, which launches this fall on Apple’s iOS 8. Surface Pressure allows Pencil stylus users to change the characteristics of a drawn line by modifying how they hold the tool. At launch, the FiftyThree SDK has already been incorporated into the following apps:
- Pencil and touch classifiers Pencil opens up interaction possibilities beyond multitouch. Through the FiftyThree SDK, touches are classified as a tip, eraser, finger, or palm. Navigate with a finger, edit with the tip, delete with the eraser—more inputs mean more interaction possibilities.
- Simple Pairing Take advantage of Kiss-to-Pair, our innovative pairing interaction that uses Bluetooth Smart technology for a fast, stable connection with the industry’s best power conservation. Reconnect instantly by pressing the tip. Swap connection to different iPads effortlessly.
- Palm rejection Finally, palm rejection that just works. Worldclass palm rejection means users of all ages and abilities types can jump into your app without hesitation or needing to deal with fussy configuration.
It will be very interesting to see which other apps begin taking advantage of Pencil in the coming weeks and months. Given that Pencil is exclusive to iOS, Apple should highlight its use in a future ad campaign. Pencil is available in two models: Walnut + Magnetic Snap ($74.95) and Graphite ($59.95). They are available to customers in the United States and Canada through FiftyThree’s online store and Amazon. Paper by FiftyThree is a freemium app available on the App Store. You can learn more about the FiftyThree SDK by clicking here.
- Procreate: Pencil makes the most realistic digital illustration app even easier to use by combining its three key features Paint, Smudge, and Erase into one intuitive tool.
- Noteshelf: The best notetaking app just got better with the integration of Pencil’s leading palm rejection technology for easy handwriting, as well as flip-to-erase.
- Squiggle: Pencil adds a new dimension of playful interactivity to this popular musical app, one of the few iPad apps to ever be exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art. Draw musical strings with Pencil, pluck them with your fingers, or cut them with the eraser.
Procreate – Sketch, paint, create.
Savage Interactive Pty Ltd
Noteshelf - Notes & PDF
Fluid Touch Pte. Ltd.
pill & pillow Limited
Paper by FiftyThree