News Republic, the popular iOS app that offers iOS device users an on-demand selection of news items from trusted and reliable sources, is now better than ever thanks to an iOS 9-optimizing update.
First among the changes made to News Republic is direct support for some of iOS 9’s best features, including, most of all, picture-in-picture video. This feature, as Apple explained during WWDC, allows iPad owners to watch video content inside of News Republic while multitasking (and interacting with another iOS application). Also new in iOS 9 is Spotlight integration, allowing iOS device owners (both iPhone and iPad) to find the articles you read, directly from the main iOS-wide search tool.
However, iOS 9-optimizations aren’t all News Republic 5.2 has brought. In addition to the above, iPhone and iPad users can now also enjoy additional video content, with some 13,000 daily videos from 68 major sources now appearing in the application. As such, a new video section has been added to News Republic, too. Usefully, this can be customized to suit your individual tastes.
Finally, videos can more conveniently be viewed from inside playlists, and video content can also be launched directly from an individual topic. AirPlay support, too, also means iOS device owners will be able to wirelessly stream in-app content to AirPlay-compatible devices, like the new Apple TV, for instance.
Here’s a complete list of changes made in News Republic 5.2:
- iOS9: Picture-in-picture videos: continue watching videos while doing other tasks at the same time (on iPad)
Seamless linking: access directly to the app via web links
- iOS search: find the articles you read, directly from the main search.
- VIDEO: More content:
- 13,000 daily videos from 68 major sources
- New video section: Discover the new video section in the menu or via My Topics page. The “videos of your topics” provides you with only the stuff you’re interested in. Switch tabs and you’ll also discover the most popular videos of the moment.
- Playlist: No need to do anything: your videos are now viewable from the within playlist mode to make it easier
- Launch videos from the feeds: When clicking on a video from a topic, you’ll view it directly. No need to go to the article page as before.
- Airplay support: Did you know the Airplay mode is supported in the player? Enjoy videos on all your screens!
For a better news curation service for iOS, consider taking News Republic for a spin. You can download it free of charge on the App Store, and it’s optimized for the iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch.