Box, the popular cloud service (and competitor to Apple’s iCloud and Dropbox), has a new iOS application for folks to download and install. Called Box Capture, the application makes it easier than ever to capture, save, and share images and videos with friends, family, or coworkers using the Box cloud storage platform.
You can pick up Box Capture free of charge, and all you’ll need is an iOS device running iOS 8.0 or above (as well as a free Box account). The universal app links in with your Box account in order to allow iOS device owners to shoot images and store them, seamlessly, in their Box account (thereby saving on iOS device storage space). You can shoot as many images as you like, before waiting for Box to upload your photography to your account over Wi-Fi or cellular.
Usefully, you can limit this to Wi-Fi only in order to save on cellular consumption, too.
However, that’s not all. Because your image library is stored in Box, the application makes it simple to share content with others using the Box platform. The whole process is simple and works well.
Here’s a complete list of features on offer in Box Capture:
- Take unlimited photos and videos without running out of space – everything is saved to the cloud, so don’t worry about running out of space on your phone or tablet.
- Separate your work and personal photo libraries – don’t save to your local camera roll unless you want to.
- Organize your photos and videos – you can select which folders to upload to, or we can do it automatically for you.
- Share with anyone, from anywhere
- Save your data plan – you can wait for a WiFi connection before uploading
- Add context to your photos and videos – comment or @mention colleagues to collaborate with your team
So, why choose Box over iCloud Photo Library or Dropbox? Well, both Box and Dropbox offer users concrete cloud filesystems which can be accessed across a range of platforms. For many of us, there’s a certain security found in seeing an actual folder sync to your computer which contains all of your cloud-uploaded photos.
In terms of pricing, Box offers more flexible, lower priced plans, and these start at just a few bucks a month for a single user.
You can download Box Capture now on the App Store. As mentioned, it’s optimized for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, and it requires iOS 8.0 or above.