The newest generation of iPhone software as here as Apple’s iOS 16 has been made available to the public.
You can download the update by going to Settings > General > Software Update on your iPhone.
A Lock Screen for You
The highlighting feature is a new customizable lock screen.
Just long press on your current lock screen to begin customizing. You can create a number of different lock screens with an image and then place a number of widgets to view the information that’s important to you.
Notifications have also been moved to the bottom of your iPhone screen. You can select to view the information in a stacked view, expanded list view, or hidden view.
Focus now features a streamlined setup process and can be tied to a specific lock screen.
In Messages, you can now edit a message that’s already been sent or unsend it.
You can edit a message up to 15 minutes after sending it and up to five edits. The recipient can see the edits. The unsend option is available for up to two minutes after sending.
SharePlay is now also available through Messages.
Here’s a roundup of other new features:
- In the Mail app, you can now undo a sent messages and schedule an email to be sent.
- The Home app is revamped with a new design that feature a live camera feed from your cameras.
- Safari can now use passkeys, a new digital key designed to replace passwords. They use Face ID or Touch ID any sync via iCloud Keychain.
- The Fitness app is available to all users, even without an Apple Watch.
- You can now run Siri Shortcuts from an app right after it is downloaded.
- A new addition to Health is a Medications section to log and manage medications.
iPadOS 16 will be released sometime in October.