The latest iPhone software is here. After a summer of beta testing, you can now download iOS 13.
How to Update
There are two different ways to update. First, you can download over-the-air on your iPhone by going to General > Settings > Software Update. You can also update through iTunes.
The update is compatible with the following devices:
- iPhone Xs Max, iPhone Xs, iPhone Xr, iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE
- iPod touch 7th generation
Apple’s new iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max will be running iOS 13 out of the box.
The updated software for the iPad, iPadOS 13, will arrive later this month on Monday, Sept. 30.
Here are some of the highlights of the new software.
A long-requested feature, iOS 13 now offers a built-in Dark Mode.
As you could probably guess, the new mode is great for interacting with your iPhone at night or in any low-light situation.
Third-party apps can integrate Dark Mode into their own apps.
It’s easy to turn on Dark Mode through Control Center. For more control, head to Settings > Display & Brightness.
There, you can have the mode automatically turn on at sunset and switch off at sunrise or set a custom schedule.
Most iPhone users probably have thousands of photos and videos stored on their iPhone. And iOS 13 will do a better job showcasing some of the best highlights.
Machine learning on your iPhone will curate the entire library and then showcase the best images to show important events from the last day, month, or year. Videos will also automatically play.
And when editing a photo, you can now take advantage of a number of new tools to better customize the look of a photo. Most editing tools can now also be used for videos as well.
Adjustments for Portrait Lighting shots can now be done right in the Camera app. Apple has added a new High-Key Mono effect.
An Improved Maps App
Another popular feature of iOS, Apple Maps, is taking a big step up with iOS 13.
Apple has vastly improved the Maps themselves with better road coverage, better pedestrian data, more precise addresses, and more landcover. The difference is significant.
Already available in some cities and states, the improved maps will be available across the United States by the end of the year and more countries in 2020.
Similar to Google Street View, Look Around will provide a street-level view of many locations.
Users can also set Favorites in the Maps app to quickly start navigation to home, work, school, or other locations.
With the Collections feature, you can find different locations like restaurants to share with friends.
And that’s far from all in iOS 13. Here are even more new features:
- Sign In With Apple will allow users to sign in to sites and apps more securely and with a big focus on privacy.
- Apple’s built-in Reminders is getting a whole new look and a number of new features and better integration with Messages.
- ARKit 3 allows augmented reality apps to place virtual objects in front of or behind people.
- CarPlay is getting even better with a redesigned dashboard that can show a map, music controls, and more. There is even a new Calendar app to view while on the road. And Apple Music will show album artwork. Siri can now interact with third-party navigation and audio apps.
- Siri is sporting a more natural voice and can work with more apps using Siri Shortcuts. The virtual assistant can also learn and recognize the different voices of family members using a HomePod.
- You can type on the stock keyboard by swiping from letter to letter.
- Memoji are even more customizable with hairstyles, makeup, piercings, and much more. The custom Memoji are also morphed into sticker packs to use in Messages, Mail, and elsewhere.