There is a lot going on today, July 19, including important Apple Music news. We also heard when “Game of Thrones” returns for season seven.
Top news stories
About iOS 10 beta 3
Apple released iOS 10 beta 3 on Monday. The changes, per 9to5Mac are as follows:
- Tweaked HomeKit Control Panel icon, ‘Accessories’ no longer truncated
- Apple Music: Downloaded Music replaces Downloads (again), is now optional again
- Updated Keyboard Click and Lock sounds from beta 1 have returned
- You can now opt-in to share Activity data with Apple
- Videos in Health are still placeholders, but text tag lines appear below each
- New ‘App Support’ section in Siri settings
- ‘Rest Finger to Open’ option in Accessibility settings now working reliably
- Replying to Messages from locked Lock screen bug is resolved, new Dismiss dialog when pulling down alerts
- Taptic feedback when iPhone manually locks
- Image picker in Messages no longer crops photos for square preview, easier to discern
- 3D Touch over a third-party app now includes app name (example: Share becomes Share Facebook)
- New typing indicator for Messages when sending GIF images from picker, Messages extensions much less buggy
- HomeKit setting now lists which devices act as hubs
Audio fingerprinting arrives on Apple Music
Since launching last fall, Apple Music has been plagued by an annoying problem where accidentally deleted tracks from your personal library were restored with copyright protection. That issue is going away now that Apple is implementing audio fingerprinting technology instead.
Cupertino is also improving how it uses metadata to match your personal files. The current process has led to incorrect matches, according to Jim Dalrymple from The Loop.
He notes, “We’ve all seen the stories of a live version of a song being replaced by a studio version, etc.”
Apple is switching to the new system for between 1 percent and 2 percent of the company’s users every day. The automatic change arrives at no extra cost.
“Game of Thrones” return delayed
On Monday, HBO announced that “Game of Thrones” won’t return until next summer. When it does, the fantasy sensation will air only seven episodes for the penultimate seventh season. New seasons of “Game of Thrones” typically launch each spring for at least 10 episodes.
The eighth and final season of “Game of Thrones” arrives in 2018.
People are getting excited about Rise of the Tomb Raider, which arrives on PlayStation 4 on Oct. 11.
On this day
Today, July 19 is National Raspberry Cake Day.
RSA Conference Asia Pacific & Japan begins in Singapore.
Rewind: On July 20, 1969, Neil Armstrong becomes the first person to walk on the moon.
Looking for more to read? We’ve got you covered:
- Pokemon Go launching in Japan tomorrow, report says, CNET
- Beware of Apple’s ‘Simple’ Plan for the Music Industry, Fortune
- Michael J Fox joins Coldplay to recreate Back to the Future scene, The Guardian
Want even more? Check out Tech Media Extra.
The Tech Media Minute is published Monday through Friday on AppAdvice.