Welcome to Friday. Here’s our daily look at what’s happening in the world of technology.
Top news stories
Should Apple look to Samsung to improve iPhone sales?
Fortune suggests that Apple can improve iPhone sales by looking at what Samsung has done with its popular Galaxy S7 lineup. Among the suggestions:
- Lower the price
- Bundle the phone with “something cool,” such as the Apple Watch
- Add a bigger battery, even if that means the iPhone is slightly thicker
- Make the iPhone waterproof
These are excellent proposals, although I don’t expect Apple to address any of the first three. The last one is almost certainly coming, this year or next. Whether the phone is waterproof or water-resistant remains to be seen, however.
Control your Nest from your watch
The latest Google Nest app update allows you to control your thermostat with your Apple Watch.
Other features in the 5.6 update:
- Spaces groups your Nest products by room and lets you see all your cameras at once. And if you’re connected to Wi-Fi, shows you all of their live views.
- Share a password protected live view of your camera. Now grandma can see what the kids are up to at video.nest.com.
- 1080p support for Dropcam Pro.
- Automatic video quality adjustment helps make sure you get a continuous, clear picture.
Make it an Apple TV weekend
Tired of the warm weather? There’s a lot of great content just waiting to be found on Apple TV. Take a look:
- Track the Pulse of Hollywood on the Apple TV
- Kid Tested, Apple Approved
- Explore Your Social Feeds on Apple TV
- Best Podcast Apps for the Apple TV
Want even more? Visit our AppAdvice/TV site.
It’s the end of the week, meaning it’s time for #FlashbackFriday!
On this day
Today, July 29 is National Lasagna Day. On Saturday, celebrate National Cheesecake Day. On Sunday, it’s Mutt’s Day.
GamesBeat begins on Aug. 1 from Rancho Palos Verdes, California.
Rewind: On this day in 1928, Walt Disney’s “Steamboat Willie” premiered. On July 30, 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Medicare bill.
Looking for more to read? We’ve got you covered:
- 4 common Amazon Echo problems and how to fix them, CNET
- Will Apple Car be the new BlackBerry?, Computerworld
- Wireless keyboards ‘easy’ to snoop on, BBC News
Want even more? Check out Tech Media Extra.
The Tech Media Minute is published Monday through Friday on AppAdvice to highlight the biggest stories in technology.