Check the details on WatchAware
Gamified location sharing. Swarm is a great way to share your location but also brings out your competitive side. This is because you will want to go out and explore more for coins and climb the leaderboards among your friends. You can also view your computer check-in history from your profile or just see what your current check-in streaks are.
Check-in everywhere. Swarm is fun because you can check-in to all of the places you go and share that with others (or use private check-ins). You earn coins to spend on stickers and upgrades to earn more coins and climb the leaderboards. Friends can comment on your check-ins too, and it's a great way to meet up with friends and family in the area.
What is it about?
Back in the day, Foursquare was mostly used as a check-in app, until a few years ago when they spun off the check-in element as a separate app, now called Swarm. While the Foursquare app still remains, it is now more of a Yelp-like app with reviews and business info, but definitely not as popular as Yelp. However, Swarm is fun because it lets users check-in their locations so that it is visible to others. This is a great way to share where you are with friends, and if they use the app, they can see you nearby and even message you in-app! You can also see where your friends are, so this is a good way to meet up with friends in a new city. Plus, seeing the nearby spots when you try to check-in is a great way to discover what's around you, and the gamification of location sharing is always fun. And if you're ever curious about where you've been, you can always browse your check-in history.
For those who...
- Like to share their location
- Enjoy gamification of location sharing
- Want to be able to browse through their own check-in history
Not for those who...
- Don't care about sharing location with others
- Don't want a record of where they've been
- Just want reviews of places before they go
Why we love it
Swarm lets you keep a visual history of where you've been as long as you checked in to that spot. It's great for meeting up with people in the area and sharing where you are. Plus the competitive side of you can climb the leaderboards.
App Store Description
Swarm is the best way to keep track of the places you go. From the new café downtown to that killer ramen spot in Tokyo, you’ll never ask “what was the name of that place?” again. Whether you love to be a local, or are trying to travel the globe, check in so you can remember everywhere with Swarm.
• This is lifelogging made easy. Each time you check in we’ll add a pin your personal map so you can look back on the places you visit. Help out your future self by adding a photo or a note to your check-ins to make the memories all the better.
• Indian Restaurant? Check. Karaoke bar? Check. Haven’t been to an Art Museum yet? Now’s your chance to go somewhere new! Explore more and collect different types of places. You’ll earn fun Stickers along the way.
• Whether it’s your 10th week in a row at the gym, first time to Canada, or the 25th time you’ve gotten ice cream with your BFF, the more you check in, the more helpful insights you’ll get about your habits and explorations.
*A note on battery. We’ve spent *years* developing the location technology that powers Foursquare Swarm, making it extremely power efficient. But, as with all apps of this type, continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.