Watch the trailer
What is it about?
With that said, the selfie mode is the stand out because it’s simply fun. Celebrities have joined thousands of everyday users to post their matches on social media. The matches are usually 40-60%, but it’s easy to see how the distinct facial features are matched between the photos. You can even get different results based on changing your expression, and it’s always fun to see the changes that the system produces. The only limitation is the number of pictures included to potentially match with, and hopefully Google expands their database soon. Just search on Twitter or Instagram with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoogleArts?src=hash">#GoogleArts</a>
Why we love it
The selfie feature is great to get people in the door of the app, and then they can hopefully explore all that it has to offer. At select museums, you can point your camera at a piece of art, and have the app provide the details, kind of like a guided tour. If you’re not sure what museums are compatible and nearby, the app has an explore tab to find museums near you, and you can continue to explore the art after you leave, or before you go. As you dive into all that’s included, the definite highlights are the street views and 360 degree videos to immerse yourself in a given museum without leaving the comfort of your device. There are over 1200 museums included, but the surprising amount is the number of curated collections. You can get lost going from one to the other, and it’s difficult not to find one that you may be interested in. Some of the extra features send you to other Google apps, and the service could always use more art and museums, but it’s a great starting point that will likely be updated going forward.
App Store Description
Keep exploring with Google Arts & Culture. Meet the people, visit the places and learn about the events that shaped our world. Discover collections curated by experts from the most famous museums. Be moved by stories depicted in thousands of photos, videos, manuscripts and artworks on every type of screen and in virtual reality. Find your favorite artworks, create your own collections and share them with friends.
Google Arts & Culture has collaborated with over 1,200 international museums, galleries and institutions from 70 countries to make their exhibits available for everyone online.
- Zoom Views - Experience every detail of the world’s greatest treasures
- Virtual Reality - Grab your Google Cardboard viewer and immerse yourself in arts and culture
- Browse by time and color - Explore artworks by filtering them by color or time period
- Virtual tours - Step inside the most famous museums in the world and visit iconic landmarks
- Personal collection - Save your favorite artworks and share your collections with friends
- Nearby - Find museums and cultural events around you
- Exhibits - Take guided tours curated by experts
- Daily digest - Learn something new every time you open the app
- Art Recognizer - Learn more about artworks by pointing your device camera at them, even when offline (at select museums)
- Notifications - subscribe to receive updates on the top arts & culture stories
- Location: Needed to recommend cultural sites and events based on your current location
- Camera: Needed to recognize artworks and provide related information about them
- Contacts (Get Accounts): Needed to allow sign in with a Google account, in order to store users favorites and preferences
- Storage: Needed to allow artworks to be recognized and related information to be access while offline
AppAdvice does not own this application and only provides images and links contained in the iTunes Search API, to help our users find the best apps to download. If you are the developer of this app and would like your information removed, please send a request to [email protected] and your information will be removed.