March 30, 2012
Looking at our Apps to Help You Get in Shape, Gym Companion Apps, and Best GPS Activity Loggers lists, you'll notice that plenty of fitness and health tracking apps already exist in the App Store. However, today's mention, Fitocracy, is one of those entries with an outside-the-box approach to motivate users into getting back and staying in shape. Founded by two massively multiplayer online role-playing game fanatics, Fitocracy turns exercising into a game. In fact, Fitocracy has "level" ranks, groups, friends, achievements, quests, and chatting. Just like competing to have the best character in a video game, you earn points based on the exercises performed each day in hopes to level up more quickly than other Fitocracy members. Fitocracy has hundreds of exercises to choose, and they go from general activities like golf and roller skating to specific exercises, such as wide-arm push-ups and crunches. You can go about your exercising casually or strive to accomplish one or more of the quests and achievements. When it comes to using the app, there are five main sections:
- Feed - Activity and timeline log, plus general chat area for you, your groups, and your friends.
- Groups - Comparable to friends on Facebook and followers on Twitter.
- Track - Where you'll start workouts, enter exercise specifics, and submit workouts to earn points.
- Leaders - The Fitocracy leaderboards.
- You - A place to change settings, view your level status, start a specific chat, and look over quests and achievements.