October 5, 2013
Apple appears to be set to launch iTunes Radio in Canada, as evidenced by a new job listing posted by the company that seeks to fill the position of "iTunes Canada Music Programmer." As reported by 9to5Mac, the listing includes the following job summary:
Apple officially launched iTunes Radio alongside iOS 7 about a couple of weeks ago. Initially, the station-based music streaming service, which comes in a free yet ad-supported baseline tier and an ad-free iTunes Match subscription version, is available in the U.S. only. But Apple Internet Software and Services SVP Eddy Cue himself has said that Apple wants iTunes Radio to be "in more than 100 countries." Cue has specifically mentioned the U.K., whose capital city of London has once again played host to Apple's annual iTunes Festival, as one of those countries. But before it arrives in the U.K., iTunes Radio looks set to arrive in America's friendly neighbor to the north. In Canada, the music programmer being sought by Apple is going to be an "editorial voice" of iTunes Radio as he or she will be responsible for deciding what gets featured on all iTunes Radio stations. Apple has indeed been hiring music programmers to apply a human touch to iTunes Radio, as opposed to the largely algorithm-based selections of Pandora. In response, Spotify has begun offering a number of curated playlists, and Rdio has made all of its stations free on mobile in the U.S., Australia, and Canada.
- Execute the programming of iTunes Radio in Canada, merchandising new releases and other feature content across multiple radio stations
- Update radio featuring daily, identifying new songs, chart gainers, and priority releases, as well as highlighting library content and showcase depth of catalogue
- Work with management in Canada and Cupertino to determine local and global priorities relevant to iTunes Radio
- Manage the weekly scheduling and programming process, including measuring stream counts, ensuring each station represents the most current and compelling music offering
- Collaborate with other editorial programmers on cross content initiatives and promotions
- Communicate regularly with the Marketing and Sales team in Canada to coordinate new release and sales based priorities
Pandora Media, Inc.