March 29, 2014
Looking for something to do nearby, whether you're in your home city or in a city that's new to you? Check out Kamino. Released last September, Kamino is an iOS app that's touted as a "social discovery engine for urban explorers." Essentially, Kamino provides walkable playlists or hikes (created by you or other knowledgeable people, including locals and travel bloggers). Every hike takes you on a walking tour of a neighborhood, complete with user-generated information such as area descriptions, photos, maps, and local recommendations. Watch the video below to check out my colleague Dom's visit to the Kamino booth at Macworld/iWorld 2014: Kamino offers the following key features:
Optimized for iPhone and iPod touch running iOS 6.1 or later, Kamino is available in the App Store for free. See also: Macworld/iWorld 2014: Sync What You Write On Paper Onto Your iDevice With Livescribe 3 and Macworld/iWorld 2014: Olloclip’s New 4-In-1 Lens For The iPad Arrives Next Month. [gallery link="file" order="DESC"]
- Hikes on the fly: Find awesome new spots wherever you are.
- Expert recommendations: Get insights from travel experts and local gurus on the best hikes in town.
- Local treasures and hidden gems: Discover what you may have missed in your own backyard.
- GPS-guided hikes: Never get lost! Our built-in GPS system will always get you to your destination.
- Hikes tailored to your interests: Find out if a hike is dog-friendly, good for kids, or great for a night out with friends.
- Recommendations: Add your own as you go or when you get to your final destination.
- Create your own hikes: Share your favorite places with friends, family, and your community!