by Joe White
June 13, 2014
At long last, the folks behind Instapaper -- the original "read it later" service for iOS -- have launched a revamped channel on IFTTT bringing a selection of useful new automation "triggers" to the platform. There are a selection of feature-rich read it later services on iOS, with the "big three" being Instapaper, Pocket, and Readability. Though Instapaper is my personal favorite, one element that let the application down was its basic support for IFTTT ("If This Then That"), the Web automation service that links Internet-connected products together. Fortunately, however, this has now changed. In a recent blog post, IFTTT announced a brand new Instapaper Channel which users can now activate and begin configuring. The old Instapaper Channel (now called "Instapaper Old") is set to be retired from service on June 20, and as such users will need to port their existing recipes over to the new channel in advance of this date. But what does the new Instapaper Channel bring? Below, we've included a list of the channel's triggers and actions:
Example recipes created on the new channel include auto-sending Instapaper highlights to Evernote and sharing links from an Instapaper folder to LinkedIn. For users of Instapaper, the revamped IFTTT channel will be a much appreciated addition to their read it later workflow. You can download Instapaper for $3.99 on the App Store, and IFTTT, which allows users to create Web-based automation recipes on an iOS device, is available free of charge. Both apps are optimized for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- New item saved: This Trigger fires every time you save a new item to Instapaper.
- New liked item: This Trigger fires every time you like a new item in Instapaper.
- New highlighted item: This Trigger fires every time you highlight an item on Instapaper.
- New archived item: This Trigger fires every time you archive an item on Instapaper.
- Item moved to folder: This Trigger fires every time you move an item to the folder you specify.
- Save item: This Action will save a new item to Instapaper.
Instapaper Holdings, Inc.