Aptly called Star Walk Kids, the new app provides children with an innovative educational tool for exploring the planets, the stars, and the constellations — while offering parents peace of mind.
Here are the features and restrictions that make Star Walk Kids a kid-friendly app and a great stargazing guide for little astronomers:
- Fun short animated films explain the most important cosmic phenomena in simple terms
- Amazing hand-picked space facts voiced by professional actors
- Engaging cartoon-style setting and simple controls
- Does not contain 3rd party ads.
- Does not contain in-app purchases.
- Does not contain integration with social networks.
- Uses restricted 3rd party analytics compliant with Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, does not collect any personal information.
- Uses your location locally in the app to match the map to the sky above you.
If you can’t see the video embedded above, please click here.
Of course, like its “parent” app, Star Walk Kids, when pointed toward the sky, has the ability to map the stars overhead onto the screen, thereby simulating a portable planetarium.
The launch of Star Walk Kids comes just a couple of weeks after the release of the sequel to Star Walk, also aptly called Star Walk 2. For more information on Star Walk 2, check out our review here on AppAdvice, which notes that the app “is beautifully designed with amazing 3-D models, is fast, and has plenty of powerful features to make the experience a great one.”