Hipstamatic’s latest iOS offering is called TinType. It’s actually a standalone spinoff of the TinType filter that has been one of the most popular filters in Hipstamatic since its inclusion in the app a couple of years ago.
Like the filter, the TinType app helps in creating “hauntingly beautiful” and “soul capturing” photos with its editing effects characterized by an extremely shallow depth of field and an eerie focus on the eyes.
While it also works for photos of inanimate objects, TinType lends itself particularly well to shooting portraits of people and even animals, thanks to its face detection and image processing capabilities.
If you can’t see the video embedded above, please click here.
TinType offers the following key features:
- Both authentic black and white and hand-painted color TinType effects
- Fully customizable effect controls: tweak the eye intensity, plate grain, and depth-of-field
- Full frame or square format
- Capture images or import from your photo library
- Edit right from the Photos app with a photo extension (new in iOS 8)
- Nondestructive photo editing – the original is always saved so you can revert back to the camera raw file at any time
- Easily share to Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and more
Check back later here on AppAdvice for our in-depth review of TinType.
See also: PicLab 3.0 features support for collages, stickers, iOS 8 and iPhone 6, Afterlight updated for iOS 8 with new extension editor and manual camera controls, and ProCamera 8 for iOS 8 boasts new manual camera controls and vividHDR feature.