SNK Playmore, the developer responsible for porting a number of classic arcade titles to Apple’s iOS, has added a new game to this list. Fatal Fury Special is now available to download for $3.99 on the App Store, and it’s optimized for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
As such, fans of the “Fatal Fury” game series can now enjoy playing the highly praised 1993 title on a mobile device. Much like the original game, Fatal Fury Special for iOS features high quality game mechanics and 16 charismatic fighters, according to SNK. However, in taking advantage of our iOS devices’ bigger screens, Fatal Fury Special for iOS also allows gamers to enjoy a new 6-button cnotroller configuration. This should make it easier than ever for iOS device owners to execute some killer moves in Fatal Fury Special.
Besides offering all the features of the original title, the iOS port also allows for head-to-head versus battles with other Fatal Fury Special gamers using Bluetooth connectivity. This is a nice feature, and one we’re pleased to see reach the app. Below, we’ve included a complete list of features taken from the application’s release notes:
- One of the most highly praised “FATAL FURY” titles! “FATAL FURY SPECIAL” was a worldwide hit in the arcades and a blast in the fighting game genre at its release thanks to the high quality of its game mechanics and its 16 charismatic fighters!
- A refined game system! “FATAL FURY SPECIAL” is more than an update to “FATAL FURY 2” with its overall revised game balance and its brand new combo system! Moreover, characters can activate their Desperation Move to change the outcome of the battle!
- 16 fighters clash! In addition to the series’ iconic characters “Terry Bogard”, “Andy Bogard”, and “Joe Higashi”, popular SNK characters such as “Mai Shiranui”, “Geese Howard”, and “Wolfgang Krauser” join the battle. Furthermore, “Ryo Sakazaki”, who was originally hidden in the original game, is now playable from start!
- A perfect NEOGEO port with added features! In addition to the original 4 button arcade experience, a 6 button layout featuring exclusive “SP” (Simplified Special Moves activation / Line Blast) and “LS” (Line Sway) buttons is also available for an even better game experience!
- Versus Battles are hot! Challenge your friends in intense and epic battles via the Bluetooth functionality of your smartphone!
Fatal Fury Special joins a number of further apps brought to iOS by SNK Playmore. These include The Rhythm of Fighters, a popular title which received new content last year, and The King of Fighters, which celebrated its 20th anniversary last year.
You can download Fatal Fury Special for $3.99 on the App Store, and it’s optimized for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Check out the new game, or see: Apple posts ‘Guided Tours’ for its Watch, confirms in-store reservations, Best new games of the week: Final Fantasy Record Keeper and Stormblades, and This week in accessories: X-Doria Defense Shield for the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and more.