New iPhones are coming. Some are coming much sooner than others, however. Here’s a look back at the week that was in tech.
Top News Stories
Is the “iPhone 7” already a dud?
We’re about four months away from the unveiling of the next-generation iPhone. It’s 2016, an even year, which means that the “iPhone 7” should be a significant upgrade, following in the footsteps of the iPhone 5 and iPhone 6. It might not be.
Numerous reports in recent weeks suggest the next great iPhone upgrade won’t occur until 2017, which just happens to be the 10th anniversary of the first iPhone.
So what about the iPhone 7? Apple’s 2016 handset could look a lot like the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s with few external changes.
Consider these recent iPhone 7 headlines:
- Apple’s ‘iPhone 7’ Will Look a Lot Like the 6s, but With a Bigger Camera
- The ‘iPhone 7’ Could Have a Headphone Jack After All
- Apple’s Dual-Lens “iPhone 7” Will Feature 3GB of RAM
And now the headlines for the 2017 model:
- The 2017 iPhone Could Feature an Edge-to-Edge Display and Much More
- Apple could surprise us with a 5.8-inch OLED iPhone in 2017
- Why the 2017 iPhone will be made of Liquid Metal
With iPhone sales softening, we’re still not convinced that Apple will wait another 16 months before unveiling a significant iPhone update. For now, however, the rumors are pointing in that direction.
Apple’s stock plunge
Wall Street hasn’t been kind to Apple in recent months. With its stock price hitting new lows, Apple is also losing some powerhouse investors. Carl Icahn no longer owns Apple shares, and this week hedge fund billionaire David Tepper followed suit.
Also making news:
On the App Store
Microsoft has finally pulled the plug on the Sunrise Calendar app this week. The move comes just over a year after the Windows maker purchased the popular app.
Other app news:
- Google Releases Gboard, a Fancy New Keyboard for iOS
- AppCollection: Best Calendar Apps for iOS
- Nintendo Has Confirmed Free-to-Play Mobile Games
- Pump It Up with Boom: Music Player with Magical Surround Sound
Get the apps
Wearables and Other Accessory News
It’s almost summer, a time when many folks decide to get healthier. Recently, we published a new report, 6 Apple Watch Apps to Help You Get in Shape.
Other accessory news:
- The Ampple Is A High-Definition Speaker Case for an iPad
- Is the Withings Go the Next Great Fitness Tracker?
- BrydgeAir Keyboard Makes Your iPad Feel More Like a MacBook