Merriam-Webster Dictionary & Thesaurus provides voice search, audio pronunciations, examples sentences, quick definitions, quizzes, favorites, and a word of the day feature. Learn a new word, test your knowledge, or look up a definition or synonym with an easy-to-use app.
Check the details on WatchAware
What is it about?
Merriam-Webster Dictionary & Thesaurus is a wonderful option if you are looking for an all-in-one reference. The thesaurus offers over 200,000 words and examples. The voice search and audio pronunciations work well, the quizzes and word of the day are fun additions, and saving your favorites or viewing your recent words are handy features.
For those who...
- Need a dictionary and thesaurus in one app
- Want a word reference with useful, extra features
Not for those who...
- Prefer your current dictionary and thesaurus app
- Do not want an app that includes both references
Why we love it
Merriam-Webster Dictionary & Thesaurus is a terrific reference app if you look up words often. Whether for business, pleasure, or school projects, you cannot go wrong with this comprehensive tool.
App Store Description
Get America’s most useful and respected dictionary, optimized for your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. This is the best iOS app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building.
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions and synonyms whether or not you’re connected. You will need a connection to view illustrations, hear audio pronunciations, and use voice search.
Selected as a "Best New App" by iTunes.
* Universal app
* No ads
* Full Thesaurus: more than 200,000 word choices, examples, and explanations
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, look up words with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
* Premium Content: over 1000 graphical illustrations, and over 20,000 additional entries covering people, places, and foreign terms